Book suggestions

The entire canon of Graham Greene
Ditto Evelyn Waugh
Peter Robinson’s detective series
Mark Billingham likewise
And Ian Rankin’s Rebus

Jeff Noon
Haven’t read any of his more recent works, but the first 3 or 4 he wrote back in the 90s, set in a near-future Manchester were excellent. Vurt, Pollen, Automated Alice and Nymphomation.

Sapiens is a fantastic and informative read. Very thought provoking towards the end.

Stalingrad and Berlin are both written by Antony Beevor and are brilliant. Read them in that order.

Is his book on Berlin genuinely as good as Stalingrad? Stalingrad reads like a thriller, but the thriller of an entire city. And the best thing about it is that it's true. It's seriously documented. Utterly gripping.

I was astounded by the Patrick Melrose whatever-it-is (a trilogy is a set of three books, but no idea what you say for a set of five). I more or less came across them by chance. Very, very black. He obviously had a childhood from hell. Very funny. Edward St. Aubyn makes black into funny. Don't know how he does it. A magician.
At the moment I'm reading a book which is virulently anti-Europe and explains why it's a good thing to get out of Europe, because I believe in reading against the grain (i.e. I'm not interested in reading books that tell me what I already think). I must say I'm having to grit my teeth to read it, and it's blocking me to move on to other books that I'd rather be reading. I keep picking it up, reading three pages, putting it down in exasperation. But I'm going to go through to the last page, because I'm puritanical like that.

Last edited:
Camilla Lackburg, Swedish detective stories, very readable.

Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee, Dee Brown, the story of how the native Americans were/are mistreated.

The Vietnam War, Ken Burns and Geoffrey C Ward; you will never believe anything a politician says ever again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.