COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the usual apologies if already shared, I’ve just read this

https://www.globalresearch.ca/open-...di-german-chancellor-dr-angela-merkel/5708004

lifted from Hitchens on Twitter.

Makes for interesting reading about Germany, some bits more persuasive than others, but I was taken by where in point 3 he asks if any random testing had been done of a sample of the general population to discover just to give us a statistically significant idea how widespread this virus is.
I appreciate the argument against, that at a time of shortage those tests available should be made available first for front line medical staff, but it would be really illuminating I think.
The author here seems to suggest we might discover it is already more widespread than we think, but with high proportion of asymptotic cases, not just mild/moderate symptoms.

Just had a call off my contracts manager at work.
He says they are looking to bring me back in on the 14th of april.
1. If I said no thanks I would rather be off on 80% can they then say I'm not entitled to the 80% as there is now work available.
2. I dont really see the point in been off atall if we are then going to go back to work when the situation will be worse than it was last week.

But as I've said before I'm lucky to still have a job and to be honest if it can be done safely I'd love to go back as I'm bored out of my mind

Wishful thinking that, I think. I hope you are right but I cannot see it.

There are 30-odd thousand known cases today. Suppose that is not 5x or 10x out, but it's 100x out and there's 3m people infected. That still means 63m are not. So how long will it take to get to the 40-odd million infections for effective herd immunity? Well if we let it rip, not long. But we are doing the opposite of letting it rip (thankfully) and hopefully the daily infections and deaths will plateau soon, and well before any levels for herd immunity. And once the rates come right down, then herd immunity is even further off.

Spot on.

Just had a call off my contracts manager at work.
He says they are looking to bring me back in on the 14th of april.
1. If I said no thanks I would rather be off on 80% can they then say I'm not entitled to the 80% as there is now work available.
2. I dont really see the point in been off atall if we are then going to go back to work when the situation will be worse than it was last week.

But as I've said before I'm lucky to still have a job and to be honest if it can be done safely I'd love to go back as I'm bored out of my mind
The government will sort you're problem out next week, when they announce another 3 week lockdown

The government will sort you're problem out next week, when they announce another 3 week lockdown
I'm a builder
So part of our firm has been able to keep going.
They are now saying as this new school job has just come in.
There is now work for me as they need me to run the job.
Unless there is a complete lockdown.
Which in my opinion there should have been all along

Where I live (Barnet), confirmed cases went from from 130 to 468 in two days. Maybe
bottlenecks in data collection or possibly individuals from other boroughs being dealt with in Barnet hospitals. Bloody high, either way.

I've just checked the quarterly mortality rate for England for the period Jan 1st to March 2019
Just over 134000 thousand people died in the quarter an average of 1488 people a day
It will be interesting see the figures for the same quarter this year

I've just checked the quarterly mortality rate for England for the period Jan 1st to March 2019
Just over 134000 thousand people died in the quarter an average of 1488 people a day
It will be interesting see the figures for the same quarter this year
The age distribution of those deaths will be interesting as well.

The reality is 500,000 people die every year in the UK (I think - if my memory serves me correctly). But the vast majority of them die of old age or illnesses associated with it. But I gather from the COVID-19 stats there are many deaths of people under 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.