Spurs thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a start, this is the Spurs thread not the British Airways thread. Second. I am sure they could afford the other 20% to top up what me and the rest of the taxpayers of this country are paying your staff but the main point is Spurs could afford to pay the behind the scenes people their full wage if they wanted to. As a taxpayer I object to Spurs, British Airways, Branson and any other mega rich club/person taking MY money whilst they swan about in luxury.

I refer to my earlier post.

The clubs can no longer generate revenue. Citing historical turnover, even from the last financial year, is meaningless. Utterly meaningless. What matters is right now. And, right now, next to nothing by way of income is flowing into club coffers. Yet huge costs must still be met.

Cash flow - not turnover - that’s the critical thing. Those who don’t run their own companies need to understand that before spouting.

A quarter of Spurs revenue came from champions League. Money they might not get this year or next.

There won't be too many football clubs that aren't on their arse this time next year imo.

I refer to my earlier post.

The clubs can no longer generate revenue. Citing historical turnover, even from the last financial year, is meaningless. Utterly meaningless. What matters is right now. And, right now, next to nothing by way of income is flowing into club coffers. Yet huge costs must still be met.

Cash flow - not turnover - that’s the critical thing. Those who don’t run their own companies need to understand that before spouting.

@JimB. I am not posting to fall out with you and I accept I have never run my own large company. I have however been self employed and had a very small company. What I always learnt was that I always needed to save money for the times that the money was not coming in. I could have taken large amounts of money out of the company when it was doing very well but I didn't.
I paid my taxes and still do, I have no objection to Boris using that money to pay 'normal' people who have mortgages, rent, food bills but I object to business owners who have creamed it in for years suddenly crying poverty and taking MY money.
One small point what do Spurs do in the summer when there is no income coming in ? I accept they will have less permanent staff to pay but it strikes me that this is blatant opportunism and greed.

Boohoo.

Quite rightly, Spurs are taking advantage of all the Government support they can get. It's a disgrace... until City, Liverpool, etc. do it too.

@JimB. I am not posting to fall out with you and I accept I have never run my own large company. I have however been self employed and had a very small company. What I always learnt was that I always needed to save money for the times that the money was not coming in. I could have taken large amounts of money out of the company when it was doing very well but I didn't.
I paid my taxes and still do, I have no objection to Boris using that money to pay 'normal' people who have mortgages, rent, food bills but I object to business owners who have creamed it in for years suddenly crying poverty and taking MY money.
One small point what do Spurs do in the summer when there is no income coming in ? I accept they will have less permanent staff to pay but it strikes me that this is blatant opportunism and greed.

Absolutely, as you say, no need or desire to fall out over this! It’s incredibly unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Especially now. And I would like to stress that my frustration is more with loud mouthed, anti ENIC Spurs fans who have been spouting off than with anyone here.

I too run a small company - a staff of no more than 20. And even with the best will in the world, it isn’t easy to hold back a significant amount of cash year round. That’s because few businesses receive steady income throughout the year. The timing of revenues tends to be seasonal or dependent on macro forces particular to each industry that are beyond an individual company’s control. Football is no exception in this regard.

One further point which hasn’t been mentioned in all of this - although I concede that it is a bit of a stretch - is that, although Spurs will be making use of public money, they can at least claim to have contributed far more to the public purse than any other UK club over the past three years. With total profit before tax during that period of circa £275m, their tax contribution far outstrips even that of the next best clubs, Liverpool (£207m profit before tax), Man Utd (£133m), Arsenal (£83m), Burnley (£77m) and Leicester (£74m). Most other clubs have paid little to no tax over the same period, including City - though I hasten to add that that is not a dig at all! I wish my club had made smaller profits and won more (some!) trophies!

They should only be claiming gov help if they are struggling financially but they are clearly not as the players are still being paid their millions

They should only be claiming gov help if they are struggling financially but they are clearly not as the players are still being paid their millions

That is an interesting point, Spurs and every other club could furlough all the players who would then only get up to 2.5k a month. I suppose the problem is the guy in the ticket office cannot demand a transfer but the players can.

Pretty sure football players wages are legally protected.

When a club goes bust it's the players wages (rightly or wrongly) that are at the head of the queue to be paid.

Any cuts will need to be a mutual thing, and until now the players union have been saying to players "don't agree anything".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.