Happy 50th birthday to Paul Lake....

Saw him play quite a lot. Wonderful poise and ability to turn on the ball - genuine class.
So sad for our team to have Bell and Lake injured the way they were.

A bona fide City hero. I know there are some who will say he was unproven, but I think that anyone who's ever played the game to a competent level (and I immodestly include myself in that category) could recognise in a heartbeat that he had the lot. Pace? Tick. Stamina? Tick. Power? Tick. Height? Tick. Two footed? Tick. Skilful? Tick. He was one of that unique class of players who glided across the turf (see also KDB and Colin the King).
The fact that he'd made the provisional Italia '90 squad and was captain of Manchester City at the age of just 21, speaks volumes. Had it not been for that injury and our amateurish handling of it, I think he would have surpassed Alan Oakes as the holder of the 'most games played for the club' record, and he would have racked up dozens of England caps. He still gets into my all-time greatest City XI even now
Perfect.

At the time he was the best City player I had seen since Colin Bell, I remember when there was a colour clash and we wore our away shirt(maroon I think) in the home game versus spurs, he had such a top game that Gascoigne resorted to trying to wind him up at any opportunity by constantly making fun of Lakey's ears, certainly worked a treat for us as we beat them in a great game.

A bona fide City hero. I know there are some who will say he was unproven, but I think that anyone who's ever played the game to a competent level (and I immodestly include myself in that category) could recognise in a heartbeat that he had the lot. Pace? Tick. Stamina? Tick. Power? Tick. Height? Tick. Two footed? Tick. Skilful? Tick. He was one of that unique class of players who glided across the turf (see also KDB and Colin the King).
The fact that he'd made the provisional Italia '90 squad and was captain of Manchester City at the age of just 21, speaks volumes. Had it not been for that injury and our amateurish handling of it, I think he would have surpassed Alan Oakes as the holder of the 'most games played for the club' record, and he would have racked up dozens of England caps. He still gets into my all-time greatest City XI even now
I agree with every word, other than the record appearances. My namesake would have sold him, no doubt about it

Was there at the Leicester game ...it seemed to take an age for any reaction... the crowd were doing their bit to attract attention and thankfully it ended how it did... a wonderful player, a big thank you and a Happy Birthday.

My favourite city player and still is, I love this fella with a passion, just the mention of his name and I get emotional.
Born to play for city and despite the club, well swales more to the point, treating him like shit he still bleeds blue blood.
They say you should never meet your hero's but I did in 2011 in town on the night of the parade and he was a proper gent who had time for everyone.

Didn't he swallow his tongue? I remember the absolute silence on the kippax as people knew something really serious was happening. I was only young but that day always stuck with me.
I was at that game, felt sick watching it happen. I'm probably wrong but I'm sure we played the rags in a derby game the week after and I'm sure a United player swallowed his tongue as well. Two in two weeks.

A true great, I wonder what would have happened to his career and indeed what position he would have ended up playing had injury not cut it short... unless I'm mistaken he was playing at CB in the Villa game for his first injury and Striker,at Middlesbrough when it went again. The Middlesbrough game is the worst football match I have ever been to I recall driving home after the game and I was just totally out of it, it was like a family member had died. He really could play anywhere and even if you could give him the tag utility player, he was pretty much the best player on the park wherever he played, we really haven't seen anyone like him at the club since

At the time he was the best City player I had seen since Colin Bell, I remember when there was a colour clash and we wore our away shirt(maroon I think) in the home game versus spurs, he had such a top game that Gascoigne resorted to trying to wind him up at any opportunity by constantly making fun of Lakey's ears, certainly worked a treat for us as we beat them in a great game.
No that was a home game. One we should have comfortably beaten them in as well but we missed a shed load of chances

Not a Man City fan ( do have a soft spot though ) but Lakes autobiography is probably one of the best ones i have ever read .......absolutely geart breaking in bits ....but my god with what was thrown at him ........what a credit he is

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.