Player Pay Cuts during Crisis

yep it is like people are taking their annoyance of the football bodies trying each and every way to finish the season and taking it out on the players,it is wrong to point fingers at players,they were offered a contract and they took it,it is not their responsibility to take wage cuts,they can donate money which would be easier than trying to alter contracts anyway

No problem with the players contracts, its a market for skills and good luck to them. I'm not advocating forced wage cuts, I'd like to see the players voluntarily sacrificing their pay to assist the club in protecting non-playing staff. Voluntary variations to contracts (with a time period) are simple to implement and would not permanently affect the players interests.

I should add that City are probably in a unique situation where the club can almost certainly ride this out anyway, I doubt we will see City passing the problem onto the Gov. So far the club has seemed to behave as well as can be expected (even the season ticket payment issue is hard to avoid, and will be reimbursed).

Clubs like Spurs & Newcastle are a disgrace, but its player wage commitments that give them the justification for what they are doing.

It's funny that it's always footballers who get held up for scrutiny and criticism. Sure the ones at the top level are on fantastic wages but that isn't their fault. If I was already a multi millionaire and adding to it every year by 5-12 million then yes I would be happy to take a cut to help others. There are plenty of people a lot richer than footballers though who are conspicuous by their absence, the odious Branson for one.

All players in the prem need to take a wage cut and let all staff be paid. Failing that to get 150,000 a week, whilst doing nothing is wrong.they don’t need it, so donate 25% of it and help others in need.

The premier league and the players, I don’t think realise how bad this is making them look. Serious pr damage. Millions of people are now seeing how greedy and money obsessed the top league is

It's funny that it's always footballers who get held up for scrutiny and criticism. Sure the ones at the top level are on fantastic wages but that isn't their fault. If I was already a multi millionaire and adding to it every year by 5-12 million then yes I would be happy to take a cut to help others. There are plenty of people a lot richer than footballers though who are conspicuous by their absence, the odious Branson for one.

Yes, Branson is looking for £Billions to prop up his airline while he sits on his own pile. personally I think morally anyone who has the means should be contributing to the national effort.

However, what we actually are seeing as usual in times of crisis its the people who have the least that tend to be the most generous. Grannies handing over pensions, little kids giving pocket money. Small businesses like taxis providing transport for NHS staff, the list goes on.

I'm not specifically having a go at players, but I just think its an ugly anomoly in the current situation.

All players in the prem need to take a wage cut and let all staff be paid. Failing that to get 150,000 a week, whilst doing nothing is wrong.they don’t need it, so donate 25% of it and help others in need.

The premier league and the players, I don’t think realise how bad this is making them look. Serious pr damage. Millions of people are now seeing how greedy and money obsessed the top league is
Do you take money off them when they are injured ? let them donate money as and where they want,there is really no need to expect them to formely take pay cuts to keep the public happy,sane has given €500,000,pep 1m euros,let them do it like that,the club is responsible for looking after their employees

If you’re in a position to take a pay cut in order to help others at this time then just fucking do it.
It doesn’t matter what profession it is either, it’s not just about footballers at this point, they’re just an example of the kind of people who can help out.
These are uncharted waters we’re in and desperate times call for desperate measures.

Personally I think it is disgusting the players and ceo directors etc have not already done this en mass
It is not about them footing the bill for the country it is simple.
There are people at Newcastle and spurs etc on low wages being furlough’d for 80% while footballers take 50 to 100k a week
When you are all in the shut you should pull together not because it sends the right message but more because they are your friends and colleagues and it is the right thing to do

If you’re in a position to take a pay cut in order to help others at this time then just fucking do it.
It doesn’t matter what profession it is either, it’s not just about footballers at this point, they’re just an example of the kind of people who can help out.
These are uncharted waters we’re in and desperate times call for desperate measures.
Spot on
If retired doctors can go back to work then a few others can show will
Whether it be food banks or salary cuts for the obscenely wealthy

Mr Knight also wrote to Richard Masters, the Premier League chief executive, to ask him "to broker an agreement between member clubs to change their approach

He added that he had proposed that the Treasury "pursue a means of financial redress whereby the Exchequer recoups a proportion of the money that clubs are paying to players."

The Premier League does not set the wages of players, who are employed by the clubs, but government sources believe that Mr Masters and his colleagues need to show leadership by publicly advocating a blanket cut

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-premier-league-chiefs-push-for-big-player-pay-cut-11967686

There we have it,so the gov can get their hands on money

Are the prem bosses,fa bosses,any football bodies going to take a pay cut or hand over money,i doubt it

Mr Knight also wrote to Richard Masters, the Premier League chief executive, to ask him "to broker an agreement between member clubs to change their approach

He added that he had proposed that the Treasury "pursue a means of financial redress whereby the Exchequer recoups a proportion of the money that clubs are paying to players."

The Premier League does not set the wages of players, who are employed by the clubs, but government sources believe that Mr Masters and his colleagues need to show leadership by publicly advocating a blanket cut

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-premier-league-chiefs-push-for-big-player-pay-cut-11967686

There we have it,so the gov can get their hands on money

Are the prem bosses,fa bosses,any football bodies going to take a pay cut or hand over money,i doubt it

I'm no Tory and I have no time for politicians but in the current situation I think the Gov putting pressure on clubs & players to contribute to protecting the economy is fully justified.

The economic disaster which will follow the public health distaster is going to be massive. Governments have powers to take measures to effectively nationalise the economy (this is already happening). In this case the Government & Taxpayers are one and the same. If people earn money in this country and happen to be doing it when the apocalypse happens then its on everyone to do what they can.

I think the various pronouncements are an indirect message to the football industry, voluntarily cough up and help or don't be surprised i measures get enforced. This situation isn't going away overnight and we are not even close to the worst of it yet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.