Player Pay Cuts during Crisis

Everyone moaning about players and Daniel Levy getting his money he earned.

Spurs owner just took delivery on his THIRD superyacht.

people moaning at the wrong people.

I'm no Tory and I have no time for politicians but in the current situation I think the Gov putting pressure on clubs & players to contribute to protecting the economy is fully justified.

The economic disaster which will follow the public health distaster is going to be massive. Governments have powers to take measures to effectively nationalise the economy (this is already happening). In this case the Government & Taxpayers are one and the same. If people earn money in this country and happen to be doing it when the apocalypse happens then its on everyone to do what they can.

I think the various pronouncements are an indirect message to the football industry, voluntarily cough up and help or don't be surprised i measures get enforced. This situation isn't going away overnight and we are not even close to the worst of it yet.
it is ok by me if they ask all of football including the super rich execs at the fa,uefa and the like of the burk at the Players union,the prem chief ,the likes of sky /bt pundits who are millionares,managers,i don't like the pressure on players to solve the problem,al of the above or none,let them donate what they want to who they want,our foreign players are doing things for their own countries which is fair enough,they are paying a ton of tax here

Last edited:
I'm no Tory and I have no time for politicians but in the current situation I think the Gov putting pressure on clubs & players to contribute to protecting the economy is fully justified.

The economic disaster which will follow the public health distaster is going to be massive. Governments have powers to take measures to effectively nationalise the economy (this is already happening). In this case the Government & Taxpayers are one and the same. If people earn money in this country and happen to be doing it when the apocalypse happens then its on everyone to do what they can.

I think the various pronouncements are an indirect message to the football industry, voluntarily cough up and help or don't be surprised i measures get enforced. This situation isn't going away overnight and we are not even close to the worst of it yet.
Will the same government also go after actors, pop stars, golfers, tennis players or is this strictly limited to footballers?

Will the same government also go after actors, pop stars, golfers, tennis players or is this strictly limited to footballers?

Doesn’t forget the hedge fund managers, them with the offshore bank accounts and I forgot when was the last time the queen gave out and her parasitic entourage. We’re all in this together my arse. Haves and fucking have nots, and the have nots digging deep for the NHS and not getting tested ffs.

Typical Tory government when are the people in this country going to wake up and see this shower for what they truly are. Let’s get the footballers to contribute, then we’re seen to be going after the real money people who can afford a drop, yes they can afford it along with that gambling drunkard head and fucktard of the PFA. We’ve only had four months to prepare now my pals brother in law is dying in a hospital from it along with my daughters friends great auntie who died yesterday.

They saw what was happening in Italy and did fuck all and were still unprepared, flattening the curve, this is mass genocide and yet this government knew it, they will come out smelling of roses in this shit storm, PL football is finished and you know what fuck it, it’s shameful, I haven’t got enough vitriolic terms to express of it and what’s been and is happening in this country, along with this virus, money is the root of this whole fucking horrible situation we’re all in.

The only reason footballers should take a pay cut is to pay the wages of non-playing staff or the football world if the clubs cannot facilitate this themselves.

They already pay too much in taxes to contribute to the NHS and the country as a whole.

Footballers get a raw deal all the time, they are the main products of a multi-billion pound entertainment service, why are Ed Sheeran or Brad Pitt never criticised in the same way?

Not sure why players are so much in focus, while we have tons of very rich business owners who fired loads of workers, could close their businesses tomorrow and live very rich life or three and haven't contributed anything but just asking from governments.

Why would players cut their wages to pay the staff instead of very, very rich club owners?

If non playing staff have taken a cut then of course players should take the cut too.
The cut should effect all employee's

It's limited to whoever they can get the most publicity by criticizing, and who's least likely to fund their reelection, I would guess. To be fair to other sports people like golfers and tennis players, I don't think they're usually salaried, so they probably lose money simply by not being able to play. Nor are they likely to be claiming government aid to pay lower-paid staff. And that's the real issue here. If Sheikh Mansour puts his own money in to cover the lost income (no doubt UEFA would oppose such a heinous act) then it's none of the government's business whether or not our players take a pay cut. But if the club starts to claim handouts from the government, then it's only right that their highest-paid staff do their bit too.

But yeah, it's curious that no-one from the government seems to have criticised companies like British Airways who have given their pilots a 50% pay cut and 2 weeks unpaid leave while their CEO (and presumably the rest of management) remains on full pay. He actually did take a 100% pay cut in the end, but this only happened after media criticism, not criticism from anyone in the government, who seem to be far more careful about which people they publicly attack. John McDonnell (surprise, surprise) seems to be the only high-profile politician to have publicly attacked CEOs for not taking a pay cut in this time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.