Player Pay Cuts during Crisis

Not as a salary though. If he's freelance, he'll lose money anyway and won't be entitled to a payout from government. If he has staff (which I assume he does) and tries to claim government assistance to keep paying them when he could easily afford to cover them for a few months, then by all means tell him he's a prick.

Yeah, professional golfers should be at least contributing to supporting their staff/entourage. That said, at the top level of Golf the Caddies and coaches are independant contractors and very well paid based on a % of their pro's success so its reasonable that they look after themselves.

In football there is a large contingent of low paid workers attached to every club, these are the vulnerable people they don't have the opportunity to build up reserves and fall back on those reserves during tricky times.

Interesting but people haven’t thought this through properly. There was a very interesting thread on Twitter by @JonWalters19 well considered and provides a sensible conclusion.
Don’t forget how so many players help provide care for others

If most of the first team squad at our Club are not already set up for life, I would wonder what they had been doing with all the money they had received. Giving up six months pay would hardly make a dent and would also drastically reduce their tax liability.

Also depending on the stupid UEFA FFP rules our owner could surely stand a repayment to the money grabbing TV companies.

The Premier League should have shown some leadership and bottle and come up with a plan far sooner. Attempting to finish the season behind closed doors or in some foreign country shows their utter contempt for those of us who fork out for season tickets and cup matches.

I have not had SKY Sports on since the football stopped and wonder what the bloody hell SKY Sports News can actually fill their programme with.

Have not missed Shouty and all the rest one little bit.

If a player makes say £200K a week, then that is split between the player and the government as follows, give or take a bit of rounding:
Cost to employer £228K - add Employers NI at 13.8%
Players take - £106K. They may or may not do something useful with it. Or crash another Lambo.
Government take - 45% tax on the £200 plus 2% NI plus 13.8% Eers NI = £122k. Pays for a doctor for a year, or a few nurses. Each player, each week.
Alternatively, leave it with the club owners.
At the moment, I think the government needs the money more.

(not that they are thinking about it that way....)

Exactly

Will the same government also go after actors, pop stars, golfers, tennis players or is this strictly limited to footballers?

Its a different situation. In football the players have been (and remain) the primary beneficiaries of the industry, in the PL between 50-78% of club revenues go to the players. The industry that supports the players has many workers in it which are not being supported by the clubs in the current crisis, that burden being passed on the the Taxpayer in some cases, Currently Spurs & Newcastle being the ones out in the public domain but there may be others that have not made the information public.

So I think in this situation, yes it does only apply to footballers.

Thats not to say that the other types of individuals you mention should be exempt, they should pay too. All high net worth individuals should be paying a windfall tax to help out with this (and I'm pretty certain they will be required to do this by Government at some point). Of course if people have made donations voluntarily and there are already a number of individuals that have stepped up and done this, they should be exempt from such a tax in the future.

This in turn makes people like Joe Lewis & Branson, Green etc even more objectionable in my eyes as they have setup very complex tax avoidance systems to ensure they don't pick up the tab for pretty much any local taxes.

I'll guarantee that all of us in what I'd call the middle classes will be paying more tax for the rest of our lives as a result of this and personally I don't have any issue with that at all.

Would be much more sensible for the players to be paid in full. The PFA should organise a levy from their members to help support the needy. This would provide funds and not deplete taxes collected

The tax thing is a good point, and theres no doubt a lot of tax is collected from players. That would be an interesting thing that could be modelled quite easily by the clubs or HMRC.

There's probably quite a bit of tax avoidance going on but this is a very valid point.

If most of the first team squad at our Club are not already set up for life, I would wonder what they had been doing with all the money they had received. Giving up six months pay would hardly make a dent and would also drastically reduce their tax liability.

Also depending on the stupid UEFA FFP rules our owner could surely stand a repayment to the money grabbing TV companies.

The Premier League should have shown some leadership and bottle and come up with a plan far sooner. Attempting to finish the season behind closed doors or in some foreign country shows their utter contempt for those of us who fork out for season tickets and cup matches.

I have not had SKY Sports on since the football stopped and wonder what the bloody hell SKY Sports News can actually fill their programme with.

Have not missed Shouty and all the rest one little bit.

Every cloud has a silver lining and cutting the Sky cord has been fantastic.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.