Holiday advice

I definitely will be looking at the way I book trips in the future. My sister was supposed to fly to the Bahamas yesterday with westjet. They refunded her 100%.
I just read an article on this topic before I came on here. It seems the rules are different depending on who cancels. If the operator cancels, EU law says they must issue a full refund within 7 or 14 days. If the traveller cancels, their eligibility for a refund will depend on whether the trip was cancellable or not.

Of course there is a some doubt about whether some air carriers or travel companies have the funds to be able to make refunds. I think this situation may force some of them out of business.

I think waiting to see if the operator cancels and refunds is the better option and if they don’t refund call your credit card company.

I was booked on Air Transat to Manchester later this month. They have cancelled and have issued a credit (the rules are different here) good for two years.

The t’s and c’s say that it’s 50% cancellation fee, which is what I’ve already paid, my only hope I guess will be credit card protection if the flights are cancelled as then it’s not my fault I can’t go.

Anyway, I’m still hoping that by the summer we might be able to travel.
Airbnb are saying all bookings affected by Covid 19 are fully refundable.

I just read an article on this topic before I came on here. It seems the rules are different depending on who cancels. If the operator cancels, EU law says they must issue a full refund within 7 or 14 days. If the traveller cancels, their eligibility for a refund will depend on whether the trip was cancellable or not.

Of course there is a some doubt about whether some air carriers or travel companies have the funds to be able to make refunds. I think this situation may force some of them out of business.

I think waiting to see if the operator cancels and refunds is the better option and if they don’t refund call your credit card company.

I was booked on Air Transat to Manchester later this month. They have cancelled and have issued a credit (the rules are different here) good for two years.
I should be just going through customs in Santa Clara right about now.

Tui look like they are gone, read the reviews on trust pilot. Lots not refunded me included.They refunded my upgrade and trips but not the flight and hotel, very weird, think they have run out of cash and not getting the 2billion bailout off the germans.
Looks like a fight for the money back now.

Last edited:
Tui look like they are gone, read the reviews on trust pilot. Lots not refunded me included.The refunded my upgrade and trips but not the flight and hotel, very weird, think they have run out of cash and not getting the 2billion bailout off the germans.
sorry to hear that matey,there is a lot said about booking late, find the holiday and go two weeks later, thats what we do now after Thomas Cook, you could end up paying a little more but you can at least forecast two weeks up front for peace of mind

I booked our summer holiday to Cyprus with TUI in January, and paid an initial £200 deposit. A further £600 is due next week, with the remaining balance due in May.

Tried to cancel the holiday due to financial uncertainty, but they said we would have to pay £800 to do so (the initial £200 + the £600) which isn't an option.

Seems highly unlikely that travel will be back to normal by summer so I doubt the trip will go ahead, but don't want really want to have to shell out more money at the moment. Do I have a leg to stand on if I withheld the next payment?

Not read the whole thread mate so it may have been answered but I’m in a similar position. I paid a 400 deposit and then a further 500 and the balance left is 2000. I have cancelled it and lost my deposit only. According to the TUI website and what they have done for us if you cancel with 70 days notice of holiday date you only lose deposit. They shouldn’t be trying to take the 600.if the balance is due may I’m guessing your going July time.

Just cancel it and don’t pay anymore. It’s taking ages to get our 500 back so don’t give them shit.

sorry to hear that matey,there is a lot said about booking late, find the holiday and go two weeks later, thats what we do now after Thomas Cook, you could end up paying a little more but you can at least forecast two weeks up front for peace of mind
It's good advice, I will try and stick to that.
My Mrs though is a different kettle of fish everything has to be now!

Tui look like they are gone, read the reviews on trust pilot. Lots not refunded me included.They refunded my upgrade and trips but not the flight and hotel, very weird, think they have run out of cash and not getting the 2billion bailout off the germans.
Every airline is doing the same.
Just because they are being awkward does not mean they are insolvent.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.