That Hamburg night in Manchester

It was a weird weird night. It was like everyone was transformed that night in the stand. Elano also had the game of his life that evening. Completely unplayable. Easily one of the best individual performances that stadium has seen to date.

Martin Jol said he was stunned by the atmosphere

MARTIN JOL admitted that his battle-hardened Hamburg players were staggered by the atmosphere generated at the City of Manchester Stadium for Thursday night's UEFA Cup quarter-final second-leg thriller.

Hamburg, who were 3-1 up from the first leg in Germany, scraped through to the last four by holding City to a 2-1 victory on a night when Brazil midfield star Elano twice hit their woodwork from free-kicks.

But the Treble-chasing German team, so familiar with regular trips to formidable Bundesliga opponents such as Bayern Munich and Schalke, were momentarily thrown out of their stride as a 47,000 full-house went bananas.

Jol, who crossed swords with City as Tottenham manager, said: "I don't think I was the only one who knew about them, but I don't think a lot of the players expected the intensity and electricity of the crowd - the fans were probably our best opponent of the night."

Didn’t Hamburg have part of the east stand and we had all the south stand that night I know this deffo happened for at least one euro night I remember the second tier actually rocking up and down as they bounced up and down in the east stand second and third tiers

It certainly was a special night but the Scouse game at our place last season was on another level. You could feel the atmosphere before getting anywhere near the ground.
Inside, the noise was relentless and the mickeys on and off the pitch seemed stunned. Even had some old school argy bargy with the fuckers.
True... and the Scouse CL game in the first half

Didn’t Hamburg have part of the east stand and we had all the south stand that night I know this deffo happened for at least one euro night I remember the second tier actually rocking up and down as they bounced up and down in the east stand second and third tiers
no,bayern munich had part of the east stand ,about 8 years ago,not the aguro hatrick game,not the hamburg game definatley

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.