Player Pay Cuts during Crisis

"combination of conditional reductions and deferrals"

Weasel words as usual, not inspiring stuff
Pro footballers, just like you and me, are workers. They're not 'role models' or 'ambassadors' or paid by the state.
Yes they get eye-wateringly obscene wages and yes, they could probaby afford to take a temporary wage cut. But demanding they take one is wrong.

Pro footballers, just like you and me, are workers. They're not 'role models' or 'ambassadors' or paid by the state.
Yes they get eye-wateringly obscene wages and yes, they could probaby afford to take a temporary wage cut. But demanding they take one is wrong.

I have no problems with players in this. It’s the clubs who are out of order.

Players should make their own decisions on whether to help out or not, individually or collectively.

Premier League clubs have unanimously agreed to consult their players regarding a combination of conditional reductions and deferrals amounting to 30% of total annual remuneration

@premierleague

I am being stupid but arent players contracts between the player and the club ? If City are happy to honor the contract and the player is why should the premier league other clubs get involved. Now if some clubs cant afford to honor the contract between player and club, it's down the player and club to sort out .....isnt it ?

Citys contracts are very much based on performance and results. Unlike some clubs and players

Last edited:

I am being stupid but arent players contracts between the player and the club ? Of City are happy to honor the contract and the player is why should the premier league get involved. Now if some clubs cant afford to honor the contract between player and club, it's down the player and club to sort out .....isnt it ?

What I think is wrong is the taxpayer picking up the bill for a companies low paid workers, while its highest paid workers continued to get paid either in full or at 70% of their wage.

The club/player contracts are irrelevant in the face of a national health & economic disaster. Unenforcable.

City are one of a few clubs that can fall back on their owner to fund player wages along with non playing workers so to be fair its a more general issue than what happens at City, that being said I'd be very surprised if our players did not support whatever measures are needed.

The wording of that statement from the PL and comments like those attributed to Andros Townsend are symptoms of the PR disaster that Football is heading for.

The facts are that the players can and should be using their privileged situations to help the general population as can many other high net worth individuals. We already know that people like Branson, Green, Ashley etc are greedy scum but they are not the only HNWI's so lets see who steps up.

We'll find out what our (and other) players are really made of as human beings over the upcoming period. So far our club has behaved impecably and that gives me some assurance that people will do the right thing.

Spurs & Newcastle (there may be others that we don't know about yet) have shown themselves (as clubs and owners of clubs) to be opportunistic scum and we should all remember that.

I'm looking for these people to do the right thing, if they don't then I'm finished with professional football.

Last edited:
Is this pay cut just to help out the clubs they play for ? Is the money than going to be paid to the lower paid staff within the club or allow the directors and shareholders to take their wage and dividends ?
Or is it ti be used by spurs, Newcastle etc can come out of the furlough scheme.

Are other well paid professional people like bankers etc being asked to do the same ?

Is this pay cut just to help out the clubs they play for ? Is the money than going to be paid to the lower paid staff within the club or allow the directors and shareholders to take their wage and dividends ?
Or is it ti be used by spurs, Newcastle etc can come out of the furlough scheme.

Are other well paid professional people like bankers etc being asked to do the same ?

Its a good question, in theory easing the financial pressure on clubs finances due to player wages SHOULD mean that the clubs can directly support their non-playing staff directly and avoid job losses, furloughing etc. There is no justification for any football club to be accessing Gov support for workers.

Earlier in this thread someone pointed out that loss of tax take could be an issue so I'd say a reduction down to 50-70% of normal would be a good compromise ensuring that the clubs funding is improved while maintaining tax revenues. Personally I think a 30% reduction is at the low end of reasonable.

I'm hoping that the gov introduce a windfall tax through which people like bankers and fat cat company directors etc will be required to contribute. You can bet the middle classes will be paying more tax from this point on ( and that is fair as well).

I had a conversation with Barclays today about business finance and their tune has changed fundamentally from last week after yesterdays gov shot across the bows so who knows what might happen.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.