Best player you have played with (or against)

Football - Andy Gorham
Rugby - Derek White (Scotland Lock)
Fly Fishing - Iain Barr (world Champion)

I grew up in Ancoats and although I didn't play an actual game with any professional footballers, I was out every day kicking a ball around with my mates and one time Stan Bowles turned up with a mate and joined in for half an hour or so.

Another time, Remi Moses who lived around the corner from me, a couple of years or so before he moved to WBA, then to the Rags joined in a game.

He was good, nobody could get a kick.

It must have been the summer of '76 as he got one of his mates to cross the ball in several times with him attempting an overhead kick (on a concrete pitch)..

Every time he tried it he shouted 'Tueart!'

He did score with one eventually and then left..

I was 13 years old, he must have been about 17 at the time..

Best I have played against was Gazza. Our school team got through to the county cup semi finals and drew Dunston. Our teacher told us we would play the game no matter what as they had this star player who was playing for England on the Saturd ay and was therefore unavailble. So we played them in a blizzard and were winning 1-0 til our keeper slipped and they equalised in the 90th minute. So we played them again on a Tuesday afternoon at their place. When we arrived I knew something was up as there must have been over 1000 people there and scouts from all over. In our pre match talk I was assigned the task of man marking Gazza. We lost 4 2 and Gazza scored all 4.

Best I have played with was later on. Ben Roberts who ended up playing for Boro and was in goal in the Cup Final and held the record for letting in the quickest goal for some time. In the same side was Mark Tinkler who went to Leeds around the time of Strachen, Speed etc. His career was ended by one Bryan Robson in a reserve game. He had nutmegged capt marvel who then told him that if he did that again he would break his leg. Mark did it gain and capt marvel was true to his word. Mark broke his leg in 4 places and was out for 2 years. Ended up being a journeyman with the likes of York and Southend. On the plus side he did get me tickets for the famous York away game so I could be 1 of the 2 million who attended.

Best players I have reffed. Dan Burn and Jordon Pickford when they were at Darlington. But the best was Steven N'Zonzi when he played for Blackburn U23s against Sunderland when he was coming back from injury. I also reffed City ladies a few times when they played Durham. Could not believe how good Toni Duggan was.

Played with Roger Palmer at school and against a lad from Burnage who scored a hat trick for England schoolboys at Wembley, Peter Coyne. He was on Man U's books and, needless to say got a bloody good kicking off everyone he played against. Also played with a guy, Ian Barwell, who'd played at Burnley and with Rodney Marsh at Tampa Bay Rowdies.

Jimmy Cassell was on my team at school.Very good player, I think he signed for the rags but always had trouble with a knee injury and I think turned his hand to golf. Then of course he finished up at City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.