Will the premier league survive.

city2

I don’t express to know how the money is paid to the clubs, is it in instalments or a one off payment at the start of the season.during this crisis fans are beginning to see how greed has really taken over the game, g14 clubs not wanting to share the profits with any other club so ffp comes into force, every rag cup game shown on tv so they earn even more money, greedy owners like Ashley, Glazers, Fenway, Levy milking the fans and now asking for a bailout to pay staff wages. I think football in this country will change when we come out the other side, the league being desperate to conclude it as thousands are dying, sky and bt pushing prices up, to be honest I have not missed football at all and with people losing there jobs the golden goose has laid its last egg.

The only way it will survive is by getting rid of TV rights and starting their own streaming service.

I’ve wondered for years if the PL has been defying gravity.

The current situation poses several challenges, some financial and some in respect of PR.

In addressing them, longer term issues such as TV rights are bound to come into the frame too.

Last edited:
I don’t express to know how the money is paid to the clubs, is it in instalments or a one off payment at the start of the season.during this crisis fans are beginning to see how greed has really taken over the game, g14 clubs not wanting to share the profits with any other club so ffp comes into force, every rag cup game shown on tv so they earn even more money, greedy owners like Ashley, Glazers, Fenway, Levy milking the fans and now asking for a bailout to pay staff wages. I think football in this country will change when we come out the other side, the league being desperate to conclude it as thousands are dying, sky and bt pushing prices up, to be honest I have not missed football at all and with people losing there jobs the golden goose has laid its last egg.
Yeah, it’s going to be bad for the ‘establishment’, and then all the way down the chain.

(All the below is a guess, I’m sure other more financial capable, can fill in more/tear up.)

As the top clubs survive on commercial sponsorship, and with that effectively flatlining (see Ric’s Thread about BM Ads for example) for the foreseeable future, then those sponsors will be looking to reduce, delay or even cancel any staged payments to clubs.
This is on top of loss of match-day income, which is a lot smaller proportion (Burnley - 50m lol, yeah right), but still a chunk of cash.
And of course the golden goose TV money.

but with the commercial side,
You can’t justify spending money on Ad sponsorships to shareholders, when you can’t make, sell or distribute yourproducts.
The majority of PL clubs have betting as their main sponsors, of whom which have hardly any income as Sports has effectively ceased worldwide.
So, it depends when the clubs get payments from their sponsors, and at a guess come June that’s when the crunch will come.
Anybody with sponsorships coming to an end this year, without pre-agreed deals to replace, is very screwed - no one new will be coming in with anything near the same levels.

Either the whole football world, FIFA, UEFA, PL etc, pull together, accept the free lunch ride is over and reset to a considerably lower level of money - wages, costs, expense, people - or they will be wiped out, and football will be very different.

The only way it will survive is by getting rid of TV rights and starting their own streaming service.

I have often wondered why the Premier League haven't done this and the only answer I can came up with is individual greed. Clubs like the Rags would demand more, more matches, more money more everything and so the smaller clubs (see gate revenue as an example) so to save all the infighting it is easier for them to outsource it to TV.

To answer the OP. I think the way certain clubs have acted has turned the general public against football and they will struggle financially whenever it resumes.

No. A european super league without City will be set up. It was on the cards anyway and now it is the only way g14 can remain solvent. TV deals may be voided after this season if not completed new ones can be negotiated without liability. They will use our 2 yr ban as an excuse to exclude then make it a closed shop..

Financially yes, but in terms of pr damage I think it will be long lasting and incredibly damaging to the league.

Me too. Admittedly, Everton being utter turd this season hasn't helped but I've just become more and more cynical about football as a whole. I remember when you could watch CL/European games on terrestrial and now it's all on bloody Sky or BT Sport. Games aren't all 3 o'clock on a Saturday, they're spread out all over the place because of the TV. Players are paid ridiculous amounts, even compared to the '90s. The game is full of people like Ashley who see clubs as nothing more than their cash cows and don't give a toss about football itself. Lower league clubs are struggling while the Big 6 earn ridiculous money. I could go on.

These clubs and owners can afford to pay their staff. It's just greed.

Prem 1, Prem 2 probably with no promotion or relegation apart from between themselves, maybe one up one down and a playoff between second bottom & second top.

The rest will go regional, less travelling & hopefully larger crowds as more local matches.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.