Greatest midfielders you have watched

Not counting any City players (Spanish Dave hands down no 1) Back in the late 60's, early seventies, Kendall, Harvey, Ball at Everton were top class as a midfield unit.

In the flesh has to be Silva. Yaya is superb but Silva is the most intelligent player I've ever seen. You could spend 90 mins just watching him and come away from the game educated.

I terms of others, xavi was the one for me, an absolute maestro.

Oh, and Quinton Fortune too. I got a lot of pleasure from watching him

I bet yer liked Bebe, too! And that stopper, or non-stopper Taibi!

Some good names, surprised whenever these thinks come up that Rijkaard isnt mentioned. Slightly more defensive than most of the names but had it all both in defence, midfield and attack (scored the winner in a European Cup final from memory). Miles better football player than makelele for me. Also hated zee germans (Voller)!!

M Laudrup also!!

Some good names, surprised whenever these thinks come up that Rijkaard isnt mentioned. Slightly more defensive than most of the names but had it all both in defence, midfield and attack (scored the winner in a European Cup final from memory). Miles better football player than makelele for me. Also hated zee germans (Voller)!!

M Laudrup also!!

Laudrup is so highly spoken of, I remember more of his brother unfortunately. Just didn't see enough clips of Michael.

Rijkaard, always remember him flobbing in Vollers curly monstrosity

In the flesh.

David Silva
Roy Keane
Yaya
Paul McGrath
Pirlo
Luca Modric
Arjen Robben
Georgi Hadji
Bernardo Silva
Phil Foden
Frank Lampard
Shaun Wright Phillips
Gareth Barry
Damien Duff
Makalele
Mascherano
Figo
Veron
Diego Simione
Rui Costa
Milner
Essien
Gerrard
Tuncay
Nigel De Jong
Wesley Sneider
Dejan Stankovic
Stephen Ireland
Pjanic
Paulo Sousa
Stan Petrov
Ray Houghton
Glen Whelan (massively underrated)
Andy Townsend
Kevin Sheedy
Jao Mouthinho (saw him at the europa league final in Dublin 2011, Porto v Braga, Otamendi and Fernando lifted the cup that night too).

I think that’s most of them through the years. But thinking back I’ve seen some good football, most of those have been against Ireland. There’s probably a few more.

***I’ve not seen KDB in the flesh yet
I take it you mean Ronnie Whelan not Glenn the full back

I loved Italia 90, a few complained about the lack of goals but I loved everything about it. From Scilachi, Baggio, Klinsmann, Mattehus, Canniga, Miller, Maradona and of course Gazza to Pavarotti. Lots of spelling errors of course.

I'm glad we both went through at the time, it stitched up the Dutch but we got royally stitched up by them a few years later courtesy of some dodgy reffing and a certain Koeman. I'm pretty sure you got your own back USA 94 when Ray Houghton got a screamer v Italy, may have got the tournie mixed up? Correct me if I'm wrong

Even back then that's some shite wages for a professional footballer, I know they weren't on crazy wages of today but that's still pretty naff.

Good GT took care of him, he had a good heart, the way the media hounded him was pathetic, they couldn't wait for us to lose a game under him.

Good on McGrath lasting that long in the game too

In 90 it was Holland 1 Ireland 1 when the England result against Egypt came in 1-0. So as it stood Egypt we’re going out and the rest of us progressed. So Ireland Holland pretty much stopped playing, Tony Cascarino didn’t get the message that the game was decided between the two captains, McCarthy and Gullit, and big Cas was still milling gym about for 5 mins before the rest of the players told him to relax haha. it got so bad the red was stopping the game to tell the players to attack

We went on to knock Romania and Hagi in the next round, John Aldridge has pulled a muscle and was coming off at half time so he nearly took Hagi out of the game with a tackle. Hagi battered us that day. Packie Bonner was my hero for years after as a result of that penalty save which looking back now, it was more of a bad pen than a good save.

Schillachi knocked us out in the next round. For a few years after in Dublin, the was still T-shirt’s going around which just said “Fuck Schillachi”

we did get our own back in 94, and Ray Houghton did score a belter, I’ve always enjoyed playing Italy.

In 94 the Dutch knocked us out 2-1 in the 2nd round. We’d beaten them in a warm up a few weeks before the tournament. But in the US, McGrath was immense that day and had a late goal disallowed. But 2-2 was never a favoured Irish result, we generally leaned towards 1-1.
But yeah man, Italia 90 was epic. Interesting I watched the Maradonna doc recently. There’s a good chunk documenting Italia 90 which is worth a watch

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.