COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's fascinating that it evolved to lurking in the system causing mild systems so it would be passed on more easily, before attacking the lungs with more deadly effect.

It's fascinating and at the same time rather expected. There's hundreds of millions of viruses which never infect humans or if they do, don't make people ill enough to cough, so never get spread. Or a few like ebola which make people so ill, again, it's difficult to spread. So what we're seeing is the one in a million, and also a perfect example of natural selection in action.

Key takeaway:

"What’s the take-away for all of us? It’s that beating this virus means social distancing & wearing masks even if we think we aren’t infected. Because we might be."
Thing is though... we don’t have any to buy? I ordered some masks on amazon on 28th Jan that were not expected to arrive until mid Feb. Got an email on the 6th Feb saying they have to refund me as there aren’t any. And that was ordered in January when it was just a bit of flu, never mind now. How can we wear masks?

Last edited:
Thing is though... we don’t have any to buy? I ordered some masks on amazon on 28th Jan that were not expected to arrive until mid Feb. Got an email on the 6th Feb saying they have to refund me as there aren’t any. And that was in January when it was just a bit of flu, never mind now. How can we wear masks?
Anything will do - even a hanky or a torn bit of cloth. The point is to not spread droplets when you cough, since that is essentially how it spreads. People coughing into the air, or into their hands and then touching things which other people then touch. It's really as simple as that and if everyone did it whilst out and about shopping etc, would cut down transmission enormously.

Anything will do - even a hanky or a torn bit of cloth. The point is to not spread droplets when you cough, since that is essentially how it spreads. People coughing into the air, or into their hands and then touching things which other people then touch. It's really as simple as that and if everyone did it whilst out and about shopping etc, would cut down transmission enormously.
I had to get a click and collect shop on Saturday and it’s the only time I’ve left the house in 3 weeks. Wore a snood over my face, not really believing it was doing anything, but more just to feel better, like a comfort thing. Are you saying it does actually help? I suppose it does naff all to stop me catching it but would help stop me spreading it if I had it myself?

It's fascinating and at the same time rather expected. There's hundreds of millions of viruses which never infect humans or if they do, don't make people ill enough to cough, so never get spread. Or a few like ebola which make people so ill, again, it's difficult to spread. So what we're seeing is the one in a million, and also a perfect example of natural selection in action.

There's not really any viruses out there that "never get spread". They simply wouldn't survive beyond infecting 1 person in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.