COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting how this spike Friday through Sunday corresponds with the Pre-Lockdown party.
People are far too fixated with this. I bet the number of people in close proximity on public transport in the five days leading up to that Friday evening far exceeded the numbers in the pubs and restaurants that night. The notion that it alone will cause a discernible spike in the numbers is fanciful imo, against the backdrop of what preceded it.

People are far too fixated with this. I bet the number of people in close proximity on public transport in the five days leading up to that Friday evening far exceeded the numbers in the pubs and restaurants that night. The notion that it alone will cause a discernible spike in the numbers is fanciful imo, against the backdrop of what preceded it.
Exactly. It was hardly York away, ffs.

That's a fair point in terms of numbers getting it. I think it's more to do with what constitutes a luxury and what constitutes essential though. We all know that going to the pub or restaurant isn't essential but travelling on public transport to get to work when you can't work from home, and have no other means of getting there, is. London is a huge worry in that regard with commuters packing out the tube, etc, but as someone who used public transport once to get to work in the week leading up to that "Mad Friday", the buses were quite sparsely populated in Manchester, and I'm guessing in all other cities apart from London it was the same.

According to my next door neighbour.
A tiger in New York zoo has tested positive.
Anyone else heard this

This from the same guy explains how, unlike Flu, a vaccine for Covid-19 is likely to work and it won’t mutate so much that a vaccine does work.

I’m going to save the article as I’m sure the discussion will move on to this in the months to come.

and the article:

https://www.city-journal.org/coronavirus-vaccine

Interesting article and some good analogies in their to help get a handle on the science behind this. Helping with my lad's project that I set him on pathogens and we are actually covering the subject of vaccines now.

You may also find this article from Nature magazine quite interesting which we have been using- it covers the Five key questions of a vaccine as trials begin, it's weighted on the durability of any immunity and touches on sars and mers findings:-

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00798-8

What pub were you in pal? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.