COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear what you are saying but there is a fundamental flaw in the various assumptions above "most people will get this at some point".

That absolutely must not be allowed to happen and it can be prevented. It must be prevented. If it is only as deadly as flu and say 40m or 50m people get it then that means 50,000 people dead. Which would mean multiples of that needing ICU treatment and we have nowhere near the capacity to cater for those numbers in any sorts of near timescale, so even more dead.

The objective is to prevent as many people as possible from getting this, not forever, but until a vaccine arrives. And then vaccinate everyone.

There is absolutely zero chance of this happening. Your plan to lockdown even more severely than we already are for 18 months is a complete fantasy.

I hear what you are saying but there is a fundamental flaw in the various assumptions above "most people will get this at some point".

That absolutely must not be allowed to happen and it can be prevented. It must be prevented. If it is only as deadly as flu and say 40m or 50m people get it then that means 50,000 people dead. Which would mean multiples of that needing ICU treatment and we have nowhere near the capacity to cater for those numbers in any sorts of near timescale, so even more dead.

The objective is to prevent as many people as possible from getting this, not forever, but until a vaccine arrives. And then vaccinate everyone.
Once a proven antibody test is available in large quantities, that will be the point where we can slowly start to get the economy moving again. There are probably millions who have already had it and don’t realise. They need to be back at work as quickly as possible.

Once a proven antibody test is available in large quantities, that will be the point where we can slowly start to get the economy moving again. There are probably millions who have already had it and don’t realise. They need to be back at work as quickly as possible.

Just on this testing everyone to see if they have had it point. If you are tested and you haven't had it, what do you actually do with that information? Are you then meant to self-isolate for the foreseeable future until there is a vaccine or do you just get back out there and hope to pick up a mild case?

There is absolutely zero chance of this happening. Your plan to lockdown even more severely than we already are for 18 months is a complete fantasy.
Have to agree.
You can however do what a vaccine does the more costly way. That involves taking blood plasma from survivors and injecting it into those at risk.
That would be greatly helped if an antibody test was available as you could identify those who have had it who haven't been in hospital.

You are probably right but I know via involved construction relatives that many other temporary venues are being / selected as hospital overspill in the UK.
I also hear that certain permanent hospital construction work has been given financial incentive for early completion.
Hopefully this is just in case but ramping up bed space is happening and I note Babcock now making ventilators as well.

Interesting from julian peto, epidemiologist. Test all population , every week, pandemic over.
He is the expert, not sure why we are not aiming for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.