The English Game - Netflix

I left it originally as it got some mediocre reviews but there’s not much else to do so binged it over the last two days and have to say it was better than I had expected. Not sure how much of that is because of my interest in the subject matter though.

I liked the part where they said only the richest teams will win anything if the game turned professional. Just goes to show you that from the absolute beginning this has always been the case in football despite what the social media armchair fans will have you believe.

Special mention to how utterly dreadful all the keepers were in it,
The football footage reminded me of Harry Enfields football team. As did ‘Soutar’.

I left it originally as it got some mediocre reviews but there’s not much else to do so binged it over the last two days and have to say it was better than I had expected. Not sure how much of that is because of my interest in the subject matter though.

I liked the part where they said only the richest teams will win anything if the game turned professional. Just goes to show you that from the absolute beginning this has always been the case in football despite what the social media armchair fans will have you believe.

Special mention to how utterly dreadful all the keepers were in it,
Fatty Foulke disagrees with this post!!!!

Watched the first programme. Don’t think I’ll bother with another one. Kept thinking it was a spin-off from Downton Abbey, expected Carson to show up.

I watched the first one and was interested but lost interest during the second one and just stopped watching it. It looked like a Canadian production along the lines of Murdoch mysteries.

Production values are poor. Looked like one of them made for schools victorian dramas we had to endure in the 70s. Script not much better. Onyly saving grace was that there was enough Downton class stereo typing going on to keep my wife watching. And, yes, the parallels with todays political struggles in the game are striking.

Watched the whole lot last night till about 4am and loved it. Really interesting and it explains a lot about the structure of professional football the FA. I never really thought about the game having upper class roots and the working class forcing professionalism.

When you think about it this battle still continues to this day, the FA are continually forced to change (maximum wage, European competition, international football, premier league, TV rights) in order to maintain control with big powerful clubs (particularly in the Northern big cities) calling the shots. The main thing I noticed was that power comes from the working class fanbase that developed and baring in mind the current situation the powers that be will do well to heed that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.