COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any idea of the real death rate for the UK? As far as I can gather only deaths in hospitals are being counted. If that is true then it's a case of massaging the figures so it doesn't look quite so bad.

THe death rate is everyone who has died, not just everyone at hospitals, but the people who die out of hospitals are being collected and added every tuesday. So today is the least accurate the numbers will get, tomorrow it will be completely accurate.

THe death rate is everyone who has died, not just everyone at hospitals, but the people who die out of hospitals are being collected and added every tuesday. So today is the least accurate the numbers will get, tomorrow it will be completely accurate.
It will give us the numbers for deaths but not the rate though.

Thanks, they seem to conclude that to avoid ICU capacity being overwhelmed a repeated cycle of intense lockdown followed by more relaxed restrictions would be needed well into 2021. I'm not sure how that would play in the behaviourial context - would people get fed up quite quickly with the continual switch between levels of restriction?
A vaccine being available, which is what I’d expect to happen, will obviously change all these projections.

Don't know where you got that stat from? Not saying you are wrong, but I have not seen it. This report might seem to suggest a different picture:

https://www.theguardian.com/society...y-and-still-the-coronavirus-tide-keeps-coming

It was from SKY News on Saturday.

The figs for cases in the various London boroughs vary wildly. For example, Haringey and Barnet are adjacent to each other but Barnet figs are much higher. Of course, there may be other reasons for the differences. But there are 4 or 5 London boroughs that have had many more positive than others (not a great proxy for ICU cases, granted) . Maybe some trusts are close to breaking point, others are way off.

The UK did it. The USA did it. Germany did it. It was only when the deaths and cases started to add up that they enacted restrictions. I see Sweden has had a bit of a jump in deaths today so it will be interesting to see if over the next few days their govt stick to their current plans when the pressure hits and the public start losing loved ones. I know there are Swedes here in Spain that are very concerned about friends and family back there.
My post was related to the assumption they will continue on their current plans, which they seem confident they are going to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.