COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
My reply was to the post you made. Specifically the part where you think the objective is to stop as many people as possible from getting it until a vaccine arrives.

That's not the objective. It can't be.

It IS the objective.

It became the objective when the herd immunity stupid idea was rightly abandoned.

It IS the objective.

No it isn't, the lockdown-relax-lockdown strategy is about spreading the number of infections, not greatly reducing the overall number.

If you want to reduce the overall number you lockdown the entire country, track everybodies phones, put armed police on every street and imprison people who test positive or come into contact with a positive case for 3 weeks.

It's never making the vaccine that causes the delay. It's the testing to make sure it is safe that takes the time.

Whatever they have done - and it is being bankrolled by the government - has somehow condensed a year into three weeks - with the monkey testing starting mid-April.

I will be tuning in tomorrow to get a better grasp of what these talented people are doing.

Horizon tomorrow night on BBC2 9PM will show how a year's work at a lab in London/Oxford has somehow managed to develop something in three weeks which would normally take a year to reach that stage.

The virus was eradicated overnight in mice and the next testing is on Monkeys during the next two weeks.

I would never sell our clever fuckers out there short.
Nor would I, but clinical trials of drugs and vaccines have to be thorough and cover as many angles as possible to avoid a catastrophe like thalidomide.

No it isn't, the lockdown-relax-lockdown strategy is about spreading the number of infections, not reducing the overall number much.
Nope. Do the maths. How long would you like to spread 40m or 50m infections out over and not cause catastrophic failure of our health service? It is not a solution and never can be.

That is not what I have suggested at all. I have said this previously several times:

We lock down as we are doing - ideally we would have done it sooner and harder, since then the peak would have been lower and the duration shorter. But we are where we are.

And then once the infection rate is right down and the death rate near or at zero, then we gradually ease off restrictions and start to get back to normal. However, we start mass scale testing and immediately isolate anyone infected, trace their contacts and isolate them as well. And if the numbers start to pick up, we start imposing restrictions again.

This is the only viable strategy. It is all well and good you talking about "fantasy" but you offer no alternative. 40m get this; tens, perhaps hundreds of thousands die, and the NHS is obliterated. That is your alternative.

Moreover, what I am suggesting is the course shown to be effective in other countries. And for that matter, it's the course we are taking. Singapore are just starting to put restrictions in place again, now that their death toll has reach a dizzy 6 (total, not per day). vs our circa 5,000. They kept it at 6 with vigorous mass testing, isolation and contract tracing. And everyone wears a mask! When our lock down ends, this is PRECISELY what we must do.
Singapore have a geographical size about half that of Greater Manchester and a population of about 5.5 million. It’s a different country.

Maybe some of our fellow Blues across the region can confirm?

My niece is a PE teacher in Dubai - at least she has a balcony.

She says they have drones up each night spraying disinfectant across everywhere - must be an amazing sight.
The only drones I've personally seen have been publicity shots in the papers like this one:
200328-drone-streets_171219a7e25_medium.jpg

It's mainly been teams with trucks manually spraying the streets as I imagine the drones aren't very practical in reality. But yes, they're doing this every night and have been for over a week now.

As of yesterday we're on full 24/7 lockdown for the next two weeks. Have to apply online for permission to leave home for any reason and we have to wear masks (good idea) and gloves (shit idea) every time we go outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.