COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nor would I, but clinical trials of drugs and vaccines have to be thorough and cover as many angles as possible to avoid a catastrophe like thalidomide.
tenor.gif
;-)

All this talk about repeated lockdowns doesn't seem feasible to me. The economy is slumping already and it's only been a matter of weeks. If it carries on for much longer then we are looking at an economic collapse on a scale never seen before.

Can we afford to wreck the economy for a generation in order to reduce the death toll?

All this talk about repeated lockdowns doesn't seem feasible to me. The economy is slumping already and it's only been a matter of weeks. If it carries on for much longer then we are looking at an economic collapse on a scale never seen before.

Can we afford to wreck the economy for a generation in order to reduce the death toll?
The economy will recover. Dead relatives will not.

The economy will recover. Dead relatives will not.

As ever, a reminder to everyone that the economy tanking kills people.

It is not a childish choice between people dying and an economic boom.

It's a choice between thousands dying of flu and an economic depression that will kill thousands. Hence why it's a balancing act every country is trying to get right and why there is no easy answer.

It was from SKY News on Saturday.

The figs for cases in the various London boroughs vary wildly. For example, Haringey and Barnet are adjacent to each other but Barnet figs are much higher. Of course, there may be other reasons for the differences. But there are 4 or 5 London boroughs that have had many more positive than others (not a great proxy for ICU cases, granted) . Maybe some trusts are close to breaking point, others are way off.
I would have expected it to be the other way round tbh.

It IS the objective.

It became the objective when the herd immunity stupid idea was rightly abandoned.

I don't agree with that at all.
The objective is a bit of both. Slow and limit the infection rate "until" a vaccine is available.
You seem to think the economy isn't important, but i'm afraid it is.
The longer a shutdown occurs, the harder it is to reverse.
This doesn't mean death aren't important, but a balance needs to be achieved.
We can only go so long before real economic impacts starts to actually cause deaths.
You've seen people fighting over toilet rolls, imagine what will happen when the food runs out...

100s of thousands dead doesn’t do much for consumer or banking confidence, either.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.