COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they get through this with low levels of casualties, without millions of people losing their jobs and countless people suffering the detrimental effects to their mental health that comes with a lock down, I’d say that makes it a brilliant decision and a great credit to the maturity of the Swedish people.
Well you could say that, but without all of the detailed evidence to support such a conclusion, you'd be making a random unsubstantiated claim. A just as valid opinion would be that they took a calculated risk with peoples' lives and got away with it. Which IMO is a poor decision irrespective of the outcome, and incidentally also the view it would seem of nearly all other countries, if not all. And we're talking like they have got away with it. They haven't yet.

I would FAR rather that excessive measures proved unnecessary, than not enough measures resulted in countless extra deaths, and no more than an "oops sorry about that" to show for it.

I had to go down to the chemist today and picked up some shopping for my neighbour,i said to everybody that served me thank you continuing to work,i really appreciate it,several bus drivers have died,several nurses and others,they are literally putting themselves out there for us,give them all a kind word

It's a wreckless risk of peoples' lives IMO.

If they get to the other side and have survived it with compared mortality rates to other countries, but without the financial impact, my view will be that they got away with it. Not that every other country screwed up.

If you are offered a grand for a shot to your head with a revolver with a single bullet, and you live to bank the grand, it does not make it a great decision.

It's more about timing. Italy and Spain needed to go in to lockdown because their hospitals were being swamped. That's never been the case in Sweden. There is still capacity, even in Stockholm. New cases have halved over the past few days and most areas are reporting under 10 new cases per day.

Edit: IMO the UK were a fortnight too late to react.

Swedes are notorious fiends for massive amounts of personal space.

Exhibit a; (Photographs of Swedes waiting for public transport in normal times)

bus-like-a-swede.jpg

15122437-44908310-16c2805b20476c3c01d30d8a5c25868cacf67d09-728-1-1567491709-728-9ea8d6b91f-1567668672.jpg

Exhibit b; (Excerpt from a handbook on Swedish social psychology, translated )

Intimate zone - up to half a meter - for those you have a deepened relationship with, cohabiting partner, children and other close family members.

The personal zone - up to one meter - the distance that good friends usually keep.

The social zone - one to two meters - in social contexts and when you do not know each other.

The public zone - three meters or more - the distance we keep to people we do not want contact with, for example the bus stop, library.

There were unusually low numbers of cases and deaths in the UK last Monday too. I wonder if there's a discrepancy in the counting at the weekend which are then included in the Tues/Weds figures.

There were unusually low numbers of cases and deaths in the UK last Monday too. I wonder if there's a discrepancy in the counting at the weekend which are then included in the Tues/Weds figures.
Posted earlier Scotland have only reported 2 each of the last 2 days as they are changing how they report, been warned the differences will come through mid week, so yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.