Cooking Thread - paella Valenciana

jay_mcfc

I made a paella yesterday and took some photos to share on here.

Disclaimer: I'm not Spanish and therefore this is my own tried and tested way of making it that works for me. I've probably made 200 + of them and it took me a long time to settle on this method. If any Spaniards read this or Spanish based blues they'll probably be offended!

I also didn't use rabbit as wife isn't keen. I would usually use smaller chicken pieces than I did but these were all I had in the freezer.

This paella would feed 4/5 people.

Ingredients:

600g boned chicken
paella rice - approx 60g pp (I used 270g)
200g passata tomato
200g green beans
200g garrofon (white/lima beans)
teaspoon of paprika
teaspoon of turmeric (optional)
pinch of saffron
salt
olive oil
chicken stock cube
Rosemary (optional)
Lemon (optional)
snails (optional)

1- Make the broth: On your oven hob bring a large pot of water to boil. Add stock cube, teaspoon of salt, turmeric and paprika. Microwave the saffron for 20 seconds then sprinkle it into the broth.

*The Spanish would never use turmeric but I do because it's good for you and gives it a lovely colour.

2- Fry the chicken pieces in the olive oil in a large pan. Add a pinch of salt.

3- When the chicken is cooked move it to the side of the pan and fry the green and white beans until soft.

4- Mix the chicken and green/white beans together and add the passata. Mix it all around for a minute.

5- Add the broth. Top the pan up with boiled water from the kettle if necessary. Turn the heat right up and let it all bubble up nicely.

6- Turn the heat down and let it simmer for 30 mins. Taste the broth bu don't be worried if it tastes a bit bland. The flavours come together at the end and many paellas have been ruined by being too salty.

7- This is the tricky part - knowing when to add the rice. There is a point in my pan where once the water gets past that point I know to add the rice. It needs around 20 minutes on a high heat. Any longer and it will turn into a risotto. When adding the rice do it in a cross shape and leave it. It will fall into place.

8- Add the rosemary when there's around ten minutes left. Cover the whole pan for the last 2 minutes to ensure all the rice is cooked evenly.

9- Add lemon and enjoy.

I made a paella yesterday and took some photos to share on here.

Disclaimer: I'm not Spanish and therefore this is my own tried and tested way of making it that works for me. I've probably made 200 + of them and it took me a long time to settle on this method. If any Spaniards read this or Spanish based blues they'll probably be offended!

I also didn't use rabbit as wife isn't keen. I would usually use smaller chicken pieces than I did but these were all I had in the freezer.

This paella would feed 4/5 people.

Ingredients:

600g boned chicken
paella rice - approx 60g pp (I used 270g)
200g passata tomato
200g green beans
200g garrofon (white/lima beans)
teaspoon of paprika
teaspoon of turmeric (optional)
pinch of saffron
salt
olive oil
chicken stock cube
Rosemary (optional)
Lemon (optional)
snails (optional)

1- Make the broth: On your oven hob bring a large pot of water to boil. Add stock cube, teaspoon of salt, turmeric and paprika. Microwave the saffron for 20 seconds then sprinkle it into the broth.

*The Spanish would never use turmeric but I do because it's good for you and gives it a lovely colour.

2- Fry the chicken pieces in the olive oil in a large pan. Add a pinch of salt.

3- When the chicken is cooked move it to the side of the pan and fry the green and white beans until soft.

4- Mix the chicken and green/white beans together and add the passata. Mix it all around for a minute.

Do you do deliveries?

I made Mrs Ewing and myself a very passable paella de marisco t'other night - I had to eat all the mussels and prawns as she doesn't. Turderic? My two kids (residing Norf Landan) often do a chai latte with turderic. Looks revolting, and whilst it might add a bit of colour, it comes out the colour of shogdite diarrhoea!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.