COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great, one small problem, just where do we get 7.8 billion test kits from ?

Personally I don't see it as a small problem.

Listen to him for the answers, I know little about coronavirus, he is a world renowned epidemioligist.

Extraordinary times perhaps call for extraordinary measures.

When you consider the economic tragedy, and the catastrophe that would follow a second winter peak of the virus, perhaps he needs to be listened to.

I wish they had listened to the doctor who identified covid 19, don't you?

As much as I can’t wait for some normality, I merely see the current virus situation as a temporary wave. We will see over the next few weeks a gradual decline in cases and deaths to Covid-19 and a gradual return to work for the masses. This is likely to be only temporary.

The fact is there are 67m people in our country alone. We have limited outcomes, one outcome is not contracting the virus, those that don’t contract this virus will then have to hold out for a vaccine and that is still well off. Those that do contract the virus, hope this doesn’t kill them or infect those close to them.

Most of the population will get by without contracting the virus in this wave but then Covid-19 will likely return in the Cold/Flu season from November and it will be rinse /repeat of what we have seen now. This will be repeated in other countries too.

It would be naive to expect this virus to disappear in a few weeks and not return, this is like smallpox and will only rescind once a vaccine is found that works.

For those who are optimistic, that’s fine we need optimistic people, but for me I prepare for the worst and hope for the best. In this situation that is all I can offer for now.
I’ve never been vaccinated against smallpox.
No one I know has.
Have you?

The fast tests will change everything. US is at 1.9 million and that doesn't include the hundreds of thousands of tests done in their hospital system. I suspect that's partly why the epidemic is crashing in New York. If you look at the data in New York, their epidemic shape is completely different to the UK. Once the testing infrastructure is in place across the US they will be exported across the world.

The challenge are the densely populated areas of the world for whom social distancing is going to be difficult. Consider the problems in cruise ships and in migrant labour camps. It's those conditions at close quarters where virus transmission thrives. UAE very smart in testing their migrant camps.

One thing really pissing me off in all this is these universitie deciding to publish their plown opinions before theirnis a concensus on whether it is good advice.

UCL have now said closing schools has little effect on the virus spread and is being trumpetted on bbc news.
Imperial college immediately refuted this (not reported btw) and said tge finding didn't take in many factors.

But some will hear this reporting and think fuck it and let their kids go and play out and mingle with their mates even though non of it is proved as plausible fact.

These studies should be going straight to government to be assessed not published to the press and leave us all with conflicting advice.

Apparently Trump has been encouraging the Americans to take "Plaquenil",a brand name version of Hydroxychloroquine.
Trump apparently has a stake in "Sanofi"....the French company that makes it.

One thing really pissing me off in all this is these universitie deciding to publish their plown opinions before theirnis a concensus on whether it is good advice.

UCL have now said closing schools has little effect on the virus spread and is being trumpetted on bbc news.
Imperial college immediately refuted this (not reported btw) and said tge finding didn't take in many factors.

But some will hear this reporting and think fuck it and let their kids go and play out and mingle with their mates even though non of it is proved as plausible fact.

These studies should be going straight to government to be assessed not published to the press and leave us all with conflicting advice.
In general publishing research is how you get a consensus. I wouldn't rely on government for best advise, or even the medical establishment. When this crisis broke Boris Johnson and the British government were in what his ally calls the 'Let it Ride' camp.

There's no right or wrong advice with this virus, we'll only find that out retrospectively with serious analysis of how the disease spread or was controlled under different policies. Personally I like the open publishing of scientific articles on the latest research, the main problem is the media's apparently insatiable desire to create click-bait or reporting information out of context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.