Cooking Thread - paella Valenciana

Thanks.
Will give this a go as all my paella attempts end up as something else.
The best one I have had was in Valencia ( Didn’t you, the OP, organise the coach to Villarreal?)
The City fans were gathered in the square outside ( quelle surprise) an Irish pub and a few of us were in the Spanish bar next door. They had a huge paella bubbling away . They had a great sell too. Every time you ordered a drink, they’d give you more paella and tapas to keep you there. Obviously it worked as we stayed in, getting fatter and more drunk most of the day before the coach arrrived .
Great day that .

There's a rice place in Jerez, owned by a Valencian couple. What we ate there was pretty much as you have posted.

Thanks for posting. Will give it a go.

I love Spanish food and make a mean Patatas Bravas. I also make Espinacas con Garbanzos which tastes fine but not as nice as the nicest Tapas Bars.

I made bravas once and couldn't believe how much effort went in to them! Do you cook the potatoes in chicken stock for a couple of hours?

Tomato on toast?

Tonight is a fish night at Ewing Towers. The two slabs of salmon are marinating in a mix of soy sauce and maple syrup! I might have a side order of chips!

Yes, sir! Much tastier than it sounds. Chop a tomato in half and grate it. Add salt and olive oil (raw garlic optional - rub it into the toast). The trick with this one is to toast the bread then let it cool before spreading the tomato on top of it.

Thanks.
Will give this a go as all my paella attempts end up as something else.
The best one I have had was in Valencia ( Didn’t you, the OP, organise the coach to Villarreal?)
The City fans were gathered in the square outside ( quelle surprise) an Irish pub and a few of us were in the Spanish bar next door. They had a huge paella bubbling away . They had a great sell too. Every time you ordered a drink, they’d give you more paella and tapas to keep you there. Obviously it worked as we stayed in, getting fatter and more drunk most of the day before the coach arrrived .
Great day that .

Yeah that was me. Cost me money after the 400e fine for the coaches parking in the main square :)

5- Add the broth. Top the pan up with boiled water from the kettle if necessary. Turn the heat right up and let it all bubble up nicely.

6- Turn the heat down and let it simmer for 30 mins. Taste the broth bu don't be worried if it tastes a bit bland. The flavours come together at the end and many paellas have been ruined by being too salty.

7- This is the tricky part - knowing when to add the rice. There is a point in my pan where once the water gets past that point I know to add the rice. It needs around 20 minutes on a high heat. Any longer and it will turn into a risotto. When adding the rice do it in a cross shape and leave it. It will fall into place.

8- Add the rosemary when there's around ten minutes left. Cover the whole pan for the last 2 minutes to ensure all the rice is cooked evenly.

9- Add lemon and enjoy.

Very nice, but I think you should start with making a sofrito - fry down some chopped onions until they are well cooked and then either tinned or fresh tomato and fry it down until you have a thick dark, almost paste-like sauce. Don't let it burn of course so keep stirring it. Then add your fried chicken back in, and then the stock and then having got it all boiling, the rice. etc etc.

The sofrito is like the main ingredient apart from the rice!

Very nice, but I think you should start with making a sofrito - fry down some chopped onions until they are well cooked and then either tinned or fresh tomato and fry it down until you have a thick dark, almost paste-like sauce. Don't let it burn of course so keep stirring it. Then add your fried chicken back in, and then the stock and then having got it all boiling, the rice. etc etc.

The sofrito is like the main ingredient apart from the rice!

You see there's always someone different! Never heard of or seen this and I reckon if you say it to a Valenciano they'd karate chop you (as they would me because of turmeric). Whilst it sounds good there's no way I'm adding onion. I'll stick to tomate titurado.

Do you do what the Spanish do and add half a packet of salt...?

that’s how it tasted at Casa Almudin in Valencia.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.