Cooking Thread - paella Valenciana

I made a paella yesterday and took some photos to share on here.

Disclaimer: I'm not Spanish and therefore this is my own tried and tested way of making it that works for me. I've probably made 200 + of them and it took me a long time to settle on this method. If any Spaniards read this or Spanish based blues they'll probably be offended!

I also didn't use rabbit as wife isn't keen. I would usually use smaller chicken pieces than I did but these were all I had in the freezer.

This paella would feed 4/5 people.

Ingredients:

600g boned chicken
paella rice - approx 60g pp (I used 270g)
200g passata tomato
200g green beans
200g garrofon (white/lima beans)
teaspoon of paprika
teaspoon of turmeric (optional)
pinch of saffron
salt
olive oil
chicken stock cube
Rosemary (optional)
Lemon (optional)
snails (optional)

1- Make the broth: On your oven hob bring a large pot of water to boil. Add stock cube, teaspoon of salt, turmeric and paprika. Microwave the saffron for 20 seconds then sprinkle it into the broth.

*The Spanish would never use turmeric but I do because it's good for you and gives it a lovely colour.

2- Fry the chicken pieces in the olive oil in a large pan. Add a pinch of salt.

3- When the chicken is cooked move it to the side of the pan and fry the green and white beans until soft.

4- Mix the chicken and green/white beans together and add the passata. Mix it all around for a minute.

I will try that, substituting chicken with prawns and mussels. Cheers. And if any purists don't like the way you do it? Fuck them. Cunts

You see there's always someone different! Never heard of or seen this and I reckon if you say it to a Valenciano they'd karate chop you (as they would me because of turmeric). Whilst it sounds good there's no way I'm adding onion. I'll stick to tomate titurado.
You can't make a proper paella with sofrito mate ;-) IMO of course!

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/...got-punked-valenica-chefs-spain-matt-goulding

BTW, nice distraction from the shite going on all around us. I've cooked a paella or two myself over the last few weeks. The basic recipe / technique I follow is this (under cooking technique).

https://www.thepaellacompany.co.uk/paella-tips.html

Nice detailed job, thanks for your time. Never made one myself but had a friend in Spain make one once that blew me away, a couple of rabbit heads were in there too, for some reason never been a fan of saffron

You can't make a proper paella with sofrito mate ;-) IMO of course!

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/...got-punked-valenica-chefs-spain-matt-goulding

BTW, nice distraction from the shite going on all around us. I've cooked a paella or two myself over the last few weeks. The basic recipe / technique I follow is this (under cooking technique).

https://www.thepaellacompany.co.uk/paella-tips.html

Nice article from The Guardian, thanks for that. Benisano is just a couple of villages up from me, we walk round the castle from time to time. I noticed there was one fancy restaurant there (Michelin starred I think) - I'll have to give it a go.

The truth about paella is everyone here is extremely precious about it but every family will have its own little tips that make theirs the absolute best. My paella for example wouldn't be paella because it has no rabbit in. They would call it a rice dish with ..... and just say all the ingredients.

Also the community of Valencia is huge and each zone has its own take. I noticed in the article 10% of people add artichokes - they are delicious in a paella. Although it's best to cook them separately and add them right at the end otherwise they change the overall flavour too much.

Do you do what the Spanish do and add half a packet of salt...?

that’s how it tasted at Casa Almudin in Valencia.

This was a big problem when I first did it. It takes so long for the flavours to come together that I just added more and more salt until bang, get the frozen pizzas out.

In my own experience our English friends love my paellas because 1- they're not as salty and 2- the rice isn't quite so hard. Spanish friends are he opposite - not enough salt and too soggy. I just cook it how my family likes it now. As long as the two kids eat it that's the most important thing.

Oh yea and the Spanish would also diss me for using stock but so what!

I will try that, substituting chicken with prawns and mussels. Cheers. And if any purists don't like the way you do it? Fuck them. Cunts

If you ever want to start a fight with a Valenciano just say that you always put prawns in your paella Valenciana. English classes fly by if you start by saying 'so, what are the traditional ingredients of a paella....' then Harry Hill runs on shouting fiiiiigggggghhhhhhhttttttt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.