Cooking Thread - paella Valenciana

I make a Valencia puchero every week. Amazing they are. Just a load of meat, potatoes, veg and chick peas in a big pan with only salt. We eat them with noodles.

https://thethingswellmake.com/valencian-puchero-recipe-winter-spanish-stew/
I make it with maris piper potatoes as they crumble and chicken breast and pork loin as the missus can't eat bony meat(and she's half Spanish). With garlic, chick peas and stock. It is nicer when re heated as it thickens it up. oh and picante chorizo too

I make it with maris piper potatoes as they crumble and chicken breast and pork loin as the missus can't eat bony meat(and she's half Spanish). With garlic, chick peas and stock. It is nicer when re heated as it thickens it up. oh and picante chorizo too
It's always better the next day but I've already eaten all the meat by then!

Nice article from The Guardian, thanks for that. Benisano is just a couple of villages up from me, we walk round the castle from time to time. I noticed there was one fancy restaurant there (Michelin starred I think) - I'll have to give it a go.

The truth about paella is everyone here is extremely precious about it but every family will have its own little tips that make theirs the absolute best. My paella for example wouldn't be paella because it has no rabbit in. They would call it a rice dish with ..... and just say all the ingredients.

Also the community of Valencia is huge and each zone has its own take. I noticed in the article 10% of people add artichokes - they are delicious in a paella. Although it's best to cook them separately and add them right at the end otherwise they change the overall flavour too much.
Sounds like you know a lot more about it that I do! ;-)

I made bravas once and couldn't believe how much effort went in to them! Do you cook the potatoes in chicken stock for a couple of hours.

Ahhh. No. That wouldn’t be right. Cube potatoes and then fry them over a medium heat (I use my wok) until they turn golden. About 10 minutes. The sauce is made seperately.

Can't beat the old beans on toast.....

beans-on-toast-1578934200.jpg

Cheap as chips, tasty as well. Chuck on a sausage or two, and you're good to go. Just try to stand downwind of people.

If you ever want to start a fight with a Valenciano just say that you always put prawns in your paella Valenciana. English classes fly by if you start by saying 'so, what are the traditional ingredients of a paella....' then Harry Hill runs on shouting fiiiiigggggghhhhhhhttttttt.

I would fight the **** :) no danger.

@jay_mcfc You seem a most competent cook. Have you considered making your own stock. I tend to buy a whole chicken and butcher it then freeze the carcass. When I have 5 or 6 I roast them for half an hour or so and add them to sweated leeks, onions, carrots and celery. Add water a few peppercorns and a bouquet garni and leave to simmer gently for a couple of hours. Skim the scum periodically and don't let it boil or the stock will go cloudy.
When it has cooled, strain and put in takeaway containers and freeze. 7mins in the microwave when you need it and voila!
Also stock cubes tend to be quite salty.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.