COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know anything about this institution’s track record in forecasting? I can’t see those UK and US predicted numbers being correct on this wave of the pandemic. Too high and too low in my opinion.

http://www.healthdata.org/news-rele...have-passed-peak-their-epidemics-uk-early-its

66,000 Covid-19 deaths forecast in UK
The UK could see as many as 66,000 Covid-19 deaths during the first wave of the current pandemic, more than a third of the expected death toll across Europe, according to modelling by a US university.

The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington’s School of Medicine estimated that approximately 151,680 people were likely to die from the virus across the continent. The institute estimates 81,766 deaths for the whole of the US.

IHME director Dr Christopher Murray said:

We are expecting a foreboding few weeks for people in many parts of Europe. It seems likely the number of deaths will exceed our projections for the United States

Using local and international data on case numbers, as well as age mortality breakdowns from Italy, China and the US, the team at IHME modelled the expected death toll on a country-by-country basis.

A key consideration was an individual nation’s intensive care bed capacity. According to a news release by the institute:

The death toll in many countries is compounded by demand for hospital resources well in excess of what is available. For example, peak demand in the UK is expected to total 102,794 hospital beds needed compared to 17,765 available, 24,544 ICU beds compared to 744 ICU beds available, and 20,862 ventilators needed (with data currently unavailable on ventilators available).

More than 5,000 people have died from Covid-19 in so far in the UK, fewer than in Spain, Italy and France. But the epidemic curve in the UK lags behind the rest of the continent by several days, and its death toll trajectory is already steeper than other nations, IHME said.

Good luck taking that swab!
images
Remember folks: Stay at least 2 meters away from a tiger!

EDIT: This post is in no way recommending that people should get as close as 2 metres to a tiger. They are after all dangerous carnivores that could mistake you for lunch

Last edited:
It could if the pubic aren’t on board. I’ve no idea about current Bulgarian politics but surely whoever is in charge must be a reasonable communicator?

Just tell them to put the news on!

Disobeying lockdown is one thing but how are countries going to cope that can’t implement such as India, the slums in South Africa and Brazil, Pakistan etc. Basically in any country that has lots of poor people, a densely populated areas and poor hygiene....

The measures I’m for, that are more stricter, are for airlines, they need to be sacrificed this year unfortunately and we need to let them go if needs be.

We can’t afford to get our house in order for someone to fly in from elsewhere and start it all again.

Those that are essential to travel need quarantine and testing before they’re released.

And before anyone says, my mum and sister work at the airport, so could lose their jobs.

Remember folks: Stay at least 2 meters away from a tiger!

EDIT: This post is in no way recommending that people should get as close as 2 metres to a tiger. They are after all dangerous carnivores that could mistake you for lunch
Reminds me of the old joke, what's the difference between a leopard and a leotard? A leopard is like a leotard but if you try to wear one it will kill you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.