Cooking Thread - paella Valenciana

@jay_mcfc You seem a most competent cook. Have you considered making your own stock. I tend to buy a whole chicken and butcher it then freeze the carcass. When I have 5 or 6 I roast them for half an hour or so and add them to sweated leeks, onions, carrots and celery. Add water a few peppercorns and a bouquet garni and leave to simmer gently for a couple of hours. Skim the scum periodically and don't let it boil or the stock will go cloudy.
When it has cooled, strain and put in takeaway containers and freeze. 7mins in the microwave when you need it and voila!
Also stock cubes tend to be quite salty.

I never used to add stock cubes but I find I can get the salt balance right by using them rather than using salt as I go. I've never tried what you've recommended here but I might try it next time, sounds good.

The other secret to a high quality paella (way above my standard) is to cook it on orange tree wood instead of a gas ring. I've seen it done and getting the flames high/low/high/low is hard work.

I never used to add stock cubes but I find I can get the salt balance right by using them rather than using salt as I go. I've never tried what you've recommended here but I might try it next time, sounds good.

The other secret to a high quality paella (way above my standard) is to cook it on orange tree wood instead of a gas ring. I've seen it done and getting the flames high/low/high/low is hard work.
Orange wood paella sounds great but maybe not that easy to achieve.
I agree regarding the seasoning with stock cubes. I am not averse to using commercial stock cubes, although I prefer the stock pots myself.
Making your own stock is a bit of a faff but easy enough and imo well worth the effort, especially as you make a big batch.
I make fish stock and prawn stock too and that really brings a dish alive.

Can't beat the old beans on toast.....

beans-on-toast-1578934200.jpg

Cheap as chips, tasty as well. Chuck on a sausage or two, and you're good to go. Just try to stand downwind of people.
Or if you're pushed for time being an in demand chef get the beans with sausages in there already

You see there's always someone different! Never heard of or seen this and I reckon if you say it to a Valenciano they'd karate chop you (as they would me because of turmeric). Whilst it sounds good there's no way I'm adding onion. I'll stick to tomate titurado.
Not entirely convinced about sofrito in paella, but then I've never tried it, I might well do.
Sofrito as the basis of italian dishes, however, is a must. Chop onlons, celery, and carrots very small (I use food processor) and add a small amount of olive oil to pan. Cook all three slowly till oil is absorbed then add water a splash at at time, repeating till well cooked down. Great for any ragu etc. Italians call it "the holy trinity".
Also works amazingly well for shepherds pie.

Orange wood paella sounds great but maybe not that easy to achieve.
I agree regarding the seasoning with stock cubes. I am not averse to using commercial stock cubes, although I prefer the stock pots myself.
Making your own stock is a bit of a faff but easy enough and imo well worth the effort, especially as you make a big batch.
I make fish stock and prawn stock too and that really brings a dish alive.
We freeze all our onion, leek and carrot leftovers along with any bones, then when we have enough make a big batch of stock which we reduce down, freezee into ice cube trays to be used later. I always butcher my own game and the bones are cut up, roasted and then leftover veg added. Makes the best stock and soup base. It is a several day process but worth it imo

We freeze all our onion, leek and carrot leftovers along with any bones, then when we have enough make a big batch of stock which we reduce down, freezee into ice cube trays to be used later. I always butcher my own game and the bones are cut up, roasted and then leftover veg added. Makes the best stock and soup base. It is a several day process but worth it imo
I could be described as a pheasant plucker myself on occasion.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.