COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ACE2 receptor is the protein the virus locks onto to get into the cell and the reason diabetics and those with high blood pressure are getting battered by this virus.

But that's because of the associated medication they have to take for those ailments isn't it? I have not understood why having blood pressure in itself without taking medication would impact the ACE2 receptor's normal response and functionality.

But that's because of the associated medication they have to take for those ailments isn't it? I have not understood why having blood pressure in itself without taking medication would impact the ACE2 receptor's normal response and functionality.

Yes, they take ACE inhibitors, which makes your body produce more ACE receptors to get around the medication.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-reviewed-Monday-Downing-Street-confirms.html

"However, ministers have suggested they are keen for schools to reopen after Easter if the situation does stabilise, with claims they have little impact on the spread and could help revive the crippled economy, "

If schools open, that doesn't revive the economy without people going back to work, no?

The virus is going to spread when we come out of lockdown and cases will go up again. It's really just about trying to make it spread slowly so we have a decent amount of time off for people to mentally recover and keep some businesses afloat before we go into the next lockdown.

They will measure it by number of hospital admissions, so they know when to cut off the relaxed rules so we don't get overrun, but I think they'll hope that after 4-5 weeks of social distancing being drilled into people, a lot more people wearing masks, and people following the self-isolation rules combined with tracking and tracing, it will spread more slowly.

It will naturally spread more slowly after this anyway because the estimated several million people who've had it and recovered start to act as blockers.

Slightly off-topic perhaps but I am finding his videos informative, but increasingly annoying. In that he always takes 30 minutes to explain what could be explained in 3. And the needless and endless repetition. They are so tedious, I find myself giving up after a few minutes - I just wish he would get on with it much more.

I've found myself fast forwarding his last few videos for the reasons you have cited but on the flip side I think we should consider that the majority of the population who have never shown an interest in science and statistics will need more explanations, analogies etc and at a slower pace. He should consider doing an edited version as well as you could literally condense these clips to 25% of the normal running time.

So, all these things are related to the global/ capitalist pressure over the economy. The need to get things 'back to normal', when they have no idea of what is happen regarding this pandemic, is mind boggling.

We can certainly see that people are secondary to currency/ wealth as plain as the nose on your face.

As a society, we have to ask the question why.
I know what you mean but there is also the problem that a trashed economy has its own associated mortality rate via more widespread poverty-related illnesses - malnutrition, depression leading to suicides etc. We'll reach a tipping point between the two scenarios at a not too distant time.

Yes, they take ACE inhibitors, which makes your body produce more ACE receptors to get around the medication.

Thought that was the case, so in summary having elevated blood pressure that doesn't yet need medicinal management would not be a significant contributing factor to the comorbidity rates.

I've found myself fast forwarding his last few videos for the reasons you have cited but on the flip side I think we should consider that the majority of the population who have never shown an interest in science and statistics will need more explanations, analogies etc and at a slower pace. He should consider doing an edited version as well as you could literally condense these clips to 25% of the normal running time.
I agree. And I don't knock the content; he's come out with some really interesting and valuable insights and recommendations. For example, my wife and I have been taking our daily vitamin D tablet for the past several weeks now. He just needs to speed up a bit.

Thought that was the case, so in summary having elevated blood pressure that doesn't yet need medicinal management would not be a significant contributing factor to the comorbidity rates.

I think if you've simply never been on an ACE inhibitor you shouldn't be more at risk, even if your blood pressure was really high and you should be on them.

I know what you mean but there is also the problem that a trashed economy has its own associated mortality rate via more widespread poverty-related illnesses - malnutrition, depression leading to suicides etc. We'll reach a tipping point between the two scenarios at a not too distant time.
An important point which is often missed. Those arguing that the gov put the economy ahead of people miss the fact that the people are the economy and the economy is the people. Death rates from all causes increase markedly when the economy fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.