Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

Sadly i think it will resume in june as money dictates these greedy fecks.If it does resume could benefit city as most prem games will be played june and champs league july and august so we would have a great chance to soley concentrate on that. Then just use prem as pre season.

Yes, but they had mathematically won it. 1 game left and 15 points clear.
Yes, but then they traditionally break off into a play off league where the points are halved and 10 extra games are played. So they hadn't actually secured the title yet.

Yes, but they had mathematically won it. 1 game left and 15 points clear.
No they hadn't, they have a bit of a weird setup.

Seasons run from late July to early May, with teams playing 30 matches each in the regular season, and then entering play-offs I or play-offs II according to their position in the regular season.

For the top 6 teams it's:-

Play-offs I (also known as the title playoffs) are contested by the top-six clubs in the regular season, with each club playing each other twice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_First_Division_A

For the rest of the league it's:-

Play-offs II (also known as the Europa League playoff) are contested by teams ranked 7 to 16 in the regular season, divided in four groups of four teams playing each other twice (six teams from the Belgian First Division B also take part in playoff II). The team finishing in 16th place is relegated.

The Guardian are reporting that the SPL will vote to declare the season complete based on a points per game basis. Celtic would be champions and Hearts would be relegated. They need 9 clubs to vote for it and they are confident they will get them as the clubs are desperate to get prize money.

Rangers & Hearts are not happy, obviously.

As reported on RTE website

Celtic could be handed their ninth Scottish league title in a row if the season cannot be restarted, provided an SPFL proposal is voted through by the clubs.

The 42 clubs are to vote on a resolution recommending the termination of the Championship, League One and League Two seasons amid the coronavirus crisis.

With play halted in Scotland, the proposal would see final season placings in the three divisions determined by points per game in league matches played by each club so far.

I've just had an email from btsport saying I will get Mays payment credited back as there will be no live sport in that month, also said June will probably be the same.

They seem to know something is going on.

I can definitely see things calming by mid June, so I expect the season to resume at the end of the month. Probably have to play games every few days though.

Also from RTE news. Still don't like Mane

Sadio Mane says he would understand if Liverpool were denied the Premier League title even though they were on the brink of glory when coronavirus forced a shutdown.

But it is unclear when, or even if, the season will be completed.

Asked if he feels like a champion, the 27-year-old Senegal forward told Talksport that he wanted to win the Premier League on the pitch.

"I want to win the games and I want to get the trophy, it's what I would love," he said. "But with this situation, whatever happens I will understand.

"It has been difficult for Liverpool, but it has been more difficult for many millions of people around the world.

"Some people have lost family members and that is the more complicated situation. But for myself, it's my dream and I want to win it this year.

"If that's not the case, I will accept, it's part of life. Hopefully we will win it next year."

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said this week there was "no way" Liverpool should finish the season without the title, even if the campaign is cancelled.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.