Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

The Guardian are reporting that the SPL will vote to declare the season complete based on a points per game basis. Celtic would be champions and Hearts would be relegated. They need 9 clubs to vote for it and they are confident they will get them as the clubs are desperate to get prize money.

Rangers & Hearts are not happy, obviously.

Absolutely ridiculous proposal. should be ashamed for putting that forward. Partick thistle could get relegated bu a margin of less than 0.4 of a point for example.

Wonder if this will set any sort of precedent anywhere else in europe

lets put a end to all this talk of restarting the leagues if or when the lock down is lifted and forget any restart the season in may or june just forget it just cancel or void it and then ???

give something back to the grass roots and lower leagues clubs by having pre-seasons friendlies in england and wales only. even have a special cup setup for missing out of the FA cup something like the old summer tournament we had in the 1970s would love to go and watch football at oldham bolton preston rochdale and others

i know city would take thousands to games and sold out signs would be up. so come on united liverpool and the rest help your neighbours and give them a good payday and play friendlies in pre-season in your local towns and not half the world away to make some dollors

I can definitely see things calming by mid June, so I expect the season to resume at the end of the month. Probably have to play games every few days though.

Let's just think this through, first there is no evidence that anything will be calming anytime. But let's just say it does. Then clubs would have to call back players from wherever they are. Unless they show signs of or have had contact with the Virus. Travel restrictions would have to be laxed or removed. Then they would have to train, so training staff would have to come in, if not infected, but don't forget they get 4 weeks after close season, they have been out longer during the lockdown. The 2 metre rule would need to be lifted. Then they would be asked to play maybe 3 games in a week. And then clubs may be without out of contract players ,e.g. David Silva, and then you would need all the back up staff to be available. All this and probably more in 2 weeks at the end of June?

I would have thought a virtually risk free sport like the British Open being cancelled would indicate that no contact sport will be taking place before August particularly if it involves unnecessary travel

Also from RTE news. Still don't like Mane

Sadio Mane says he would understand if Liverpool were denied the Premier League title even though they were on the brink of glory when coronavirus forced a shutdown.

But it is unclear when, or even if, the season will be completed.

Asked if he feels like a champion, the 27-year-old Senegal forward told Talksport that he wanted to win the Premier League on the pitch.

"I want to win the games and I want to get the trophy, it's what I would love," he said. "But with this situation, whatever happens I will understand.

"It has been difficult for Liverpool, but it has been more difficult for many millions of people around the world.

"Some people have lost family members and that is the more complicated situation. But for myself, it's my dream and I want to win it this year.

"If that's not the case, I will accept, it's part of life. Hopefully we will win it next year."

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said this week there was "no way" Liverpool should finish the season without the title, even if the campaign is cancelled.
Fuck me Mane's days are numbered now....

He made the comments but he has no control over any decision taken by the Premier League so whatever he says carries a large caveat
Can't beat a nice large cravat
409c8e94e7257e15d292e6ec4803ae7b.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.