COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The premise of your argument is that there is a real choice between saving lives now and saving the economy. The problem is that without drastic measures the pandemic will overwhelm the healthcare system, many doctors and nurses will get ill and won't be able to do their job, as a result many young people will be affected because they can't be treated, which will overwhelm the economy itself. Saving lives now or saving the economy? It's a false dilemma.

Scientific research has shown that the US cities which were longer in a lockdown during the Spanish flu in 1918 recovered ecomically faster than the cities which tried to save the economy and lifted the lockdown a bit prematurely.
No it really isn’t. I support the lock down, it was needed to protect the nhs and save lives. The question I was attempting to answer was why are people obsessed with coming out of lockdown. There is no pain free option. Those who want the lockdown to end as soon as the pandemic is under control are not heartless bastards who don’t care about people dying, they are people who understand a large number of lives will be lost if the lockdown goes on too long and this leads to a deep recession. I was encouraged to hear the government is doing some modelling about this because I’m not sure this has featured enough in the conversation so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.