Stoke fan here in peace...

ORFYDUCKMAG

Team supported
Stoke City
Good evening one and all.

Cheers to Ric for letting a guest user post early doors.

I work on the Stoke fanzine, 'Duck' (it's better than it sounds) and I'm planning a new series of articles 'Us and Them.' I ask fans other clubs 5 generic questions and I pool the most interesting responses (however nice/ nasty/ naughty) to from an overview.

Ideally it would be nice to avoid any cliche stuff (long ball thugs, Brexit capital, Stoke is a s***hole) but each to their own. No doubt a certain game in May 2011 might crop up. By all means gloat and take the p*** but some quirky/ honest/ original answers would be much appreciated... if you can be arsed of course. Another game in May 98 might also feature for obvious reasons! The more unusual the anecdotes the better - whether serious or ridiculous.

1. Generally as a club - how do you perceive Stoke City? Through the years? Any rivalry or a complete non-entity? Any reasons for admiration or contempt? Is/ was it a fixture of any interest?
2. Which Stoke vs Man City games do you remember personally (good/ bad/ indifferent) over the years and why?
3. Which Stoke teams/ managers/ players have made impressions on you over the years... good or bad?
4. The Stoke support: home and away - any thoughts? are we typical? Is there anything that makes us distinctive from other clubs?
5. Our grounds old and new - any particular memories/ opinions on the The Victoria Ground or the new Soulless version?

Thanks to anyone who can be bothered. For what its worth, I have lots of time for you lads - back in the third tier you really stuck it out. I have 2 stand out memories visits favourite visits to Maine Road:
1. A third tier clash which I think you won - Dickov was always a pest for us and he scored the winner. I was in that temporary stand and some of your lot kindly donated some house bricks to aid the Stoke-on-Trent regeneration programme!
2. We won midweek at your place - a Ray Wallace winner. I sat next to Nick Hancock and it was proper moody outside afterwards. I was keen on buying the Kippax(?) fanzine but thought better of it.
I try to for get the Mays of 1998 and 2011. The atmosphere for your visit to our place back in January 2009 was something else though. And I think it was boxing Day 87/ 88? when you brought down 12k fans to the Vic and nearly as many inflatables - what a sight! I was 10 and in awe of the the spectacle you created that day.

Anyway, thanks in advance. Stay safe. All the best,

Lee Hawthorne
@ORFYDUCKMAG

1. Always had a bad perception of stoke since the 5-2 win in 1998 and the trouble outside. They also aren’t a pretty team to watch.

2. The 2 obvious games I remember are the One mentioned, 5-2, when we were both relegated and the cup final. First trophy in 35 years. I also remember a midweek game where Gerard weikens scored. Can’t remember if it was 1-0 or 2-1.

3. Not too keen on any of your players/managers. Stephen Ireland probably the only one being an ex blue.

Where's Man City v Stoke when you want him?

My dad went to the 1934 84,569 6th round game at Maine Road, said they were dirty bastards.

(Only joking, he did go, but he didn't say that, hope you get some sensible replies)

1) There’s always been a fair bit of animosity between the clubs as far as I can remember, particularly in the late 90s. That said, things seemed fairly cordial between the two sets of fans at the cup final in 2011 so I think the hostility has died down a bit now.
2) The 2-1 at Maine Road in 1998 stands out. It was a really good atmosphere that day, and was the turning point in our season. Also the cup final too for obvious reasons.
3) Never really liked Pulis, or his brand of football, but he deserves great credit for getting Stoke up and then turning them into an established Premier League team.
4) Always seemed like a bit of a rum lot!
5) Too young to have gone to The Victoria Ground, and am fairly indifferent to the Britannia, same as most new stadia.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.