COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52255863

‘Coronavirus: Ethnic minorities 'are a third' of patients’

Cultural factors must be having an impact, e.g multi generational households.
Possibly but as a high number of UK cases are in London and a London hospital is used as an example in that report I would expect those numbers. Ethnic minorities well over 40% in London.

Another important factor - which seems to be genetic as much as cultural - is that people of South Asian ethnicity (mainly the Indian sub-continent) are about six times more likely to be diabetic than ethnic British people which increases their vulnerability to covid-19.
The Sub-continent community’s greater propensity to go to large religious gatherings must also be a factor. I understand the recent spike in cases in Wolverhampton was linked to a temple.

I was shocked this morning to read that a third of cases in Wuhan ended up in intensive care. Does anyone know the figure in the UK?

I was shocked this morning to read that a third of cases in Wuhan ended up in intensive care. Does anyone know the figure in the UK?
Don’t know but I can give you Scotlands figures
5590 have tested positive, of course many thousands more will have had it or have it untested.
1855 are in hospital
212 in intensive care don’t know how many of them are on ventilators.
So a third of cases sounds wrong, possible a third of those going to hospital though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.