Stoke fan here in peace...

1. Generally as a club - how do you perceive Stoke City? Through the years? Any rivalry or a complete non-entity? Any reasons for admiration or contempt? Is/ was it a fixture of any interest?
- Never had anything against Stoke. Admired the way they survived in the Premier League in the early days under Pulis, which I think was a massive positive for both the Premier League and English football in general. Everyone hated coming to Stoke (hence the Tuesday night in Stoke tag) and it was sad to see that fade away. Always thought you should have stuck with the Pulis type values rather than bringing in Hughes - to me it looked like you trying too hard to shake off the perceptions of being a boring long ball team etc. Could have been the Atletico Madrid of the PL.
2. Which Stoke vs Man City games do you remember personally (good/ bad/ indifferent) over the years and why?
- Cup final is obvious one, but also a fairly uneventful 2-0 win in December 2009. It was the first game of the Mancini era, which of course saw the end of our trophy drought and success beyond. So you could argue it all started that day. Was also pleased it was you we played in the cup final, given arguably the worst day in our history also occurred against Stoke.
3. Which Stoke teams/ managers/ players have made impressions on you over the years... good or bad?
- As mentioned earlier, Pulis and the squad of 2008/09 - I'm amazed they were able to finish 12th. Had them down for certain relegation when the season began. In 10/11 I was impressed with Pennant and Etherington became quality wingers. Always felt Shawcross could have played at a higher level as well.
4. The Stoke support: home and away - any thoughts? are we typical? Is there anything that makes us distinctive from other clubs?
- Not much to say here, but always enjoyed hearing a rendition of Delilah.
5. Our grounds old and new - any particular memories/ opinions on the The Victoria Ground or the new Soulless version?
- Too young to remember the Victoria Ground - my only real memory of the Britannia was a very windy game back in 2015 that messed my hair up so much I decided enough was enough and had it all shaved off.

I love oatcakes (had a bacon & cheese one for breakfast yesterday), but the best thing about Stoke, unless you are a fan of ceramics, is the Titanic brewery, named after Captain John Smith who originated from Stoke. Plum Porter is the beer of the gods!
Oh yes mate oatcakes are brill, I have cheese, egg, black pepper and tomato sauce. The best ones I’ve had are Locketts and High Lane oatcakes. Yep Titanic Brewery is ace and so is plum porter, also the cappuccino stout and chocolate and vanilla stout, they do are amazing. The brewery also does a plum gin, which is also great. I bought my good lady wife a gin called ‘stokie oatcake gin’, made by moorland pottery, it’s got a really subtle vanilla flavour to it.

If my beloved City were to be no more, then Stoke would be the team I’d support, and their results are the second ones I look out for. I’m quite blessed where I live for football, I can go and watch Newcastle Town, Kidsgrove Athletic, Alsager Town, Crewe, Audley, Stoke or Vale. All within a 10 mile radius.

My first 'favourite player' growing up was Gordon Banks (I was 7) and sort of supported them without really knowing much about football. I saw the light not long afterwards.

My first match was actually at Stoke when they played Santos in a friendly in 1969. Not bad when your first footballing experience is watching Pele (I'm sure he scored a penalty in a 3-2 win).

I distinctly remember large glass windows that let you see into the players' lounge where we saw Banks, Pele and Terry Conroy amongst others.

Tony Pulis's legacy has left me with a mainly negative impression of the club. Otherwise I'm pretty indifferent to them.

The ususal cliches about 'naughty' fans and it being a cold place. Dunno myself, basing it on others' views.

1. I lived in Hanley for several years whilst at uni so I know stoke well. You’ve got a mixed bag like many clubs in terms of fans. The thing I don’t like about your fan base is that for a few supporters I know, Stoke is one of the teams they support. With the other being Liverpool or such like....I honestly don’t understand it. The second thing is the booing other teams for a lot of the game....seriously what’s that about. I don’t know if you still do it but while you were in the prem it was normal....maybe because you’ve only got one song, I don’t know.

2. Never been to your stadium but remember the 1997 relegation game well, particularly the stoning of the city coaches afterwards....typical stoke mentality that....we both went down ffs. Also remember the crouch wonder goal, god we hated you at that time, proper bogey team that were pissing on our beautiful football by clawing lucky draws....

3. You can’t mention stoke players without talking about the late great Stanley Matthews, my parents in law live in the moorlands and my wife’s grandad saw him play many times and used to regale our family Xmas dinners with his exploits whenever we talked about Xmas football fixture list etc. iirc wasn’t Matthews the first winner of the Ballon d’Or??? Or did I just make that up?

4. Stoke fans stayed in our Wembley hotel in 2011 for the final (Ibis), had a great chat to a few older fans who were very complimentary about city. Changed my opinion a bit that day. Also, we appropriated your one song for Yaya and I thought you were pretty gracious and saw the funny side.

5. See 2

1. Neutral on Stoke as a Club, no problem with their fans.
  2. The one where we battered you and still got relegated because of some other very dodgy results.
  3. No particular team, Pullis of cause you had to admire his dress sense, and the legend that is Sir Stanley Matthews I was a member of his fan club as a youngster with a badge to prove it.
  4. Fairly average, not the best but certainly not the worst. But that bloody awful song Delilah.
  5. Old stadium a dump as was Maine Road new stadium like many others with all seater ruining the atmosphere that you got when the more vocal supporters got together on standing terraces.
Good luck in the future, you will need it. FFP has ruined any chance teams like you can ever break into the elite.

One of my favourite games was the 7-2 a couple of seasons back. De Bruyne gave possibly the best display I have ever seen for the 66 mins he was on the pitch.

My early morning fix this Holy Easter Morning was for me to resurrect THAT pass of de Bruyne's across the entire back Stoke line, but just too far forward for Butters to chance his arm, and up popped Leroy to nutmeg the hapless Butters! 7-2 that game. It was the game Roger Johnson took his lad to (Roger's Dad wrote for the Stoke paper). Also, the last game of the relegation season (there's been a few!) was the 5-1 at Stoke. I love Stoke!

1. Generally as a club - how do you perceive Stoke City? Through the years? Any rivalry or a complete non-entity? Any reasons for admiration or contempt? Is/ was it a fixture of any interest?

Stoke fans were sound at the 2011 Cup Final, a mild annoyance as every time I’ve been away to Stoke we’ve dropped points but generally my hatred and dislike only goes towards Utd and Liverpool. Genuinely not bothered about anyone else.

2. Which Stoke vs Man City games do you remember personally (good/ bad/ indifferent) over the years and why?

Cup final 2011 which was amazing for us.

Getting beat 3-0 under Pellegrini, away, was a tough day.

I do remember the mutual respect a few days after the Cup Final in 2011, we played Stoke and home and Stoke’s fans got a round of applause at the end.

3. Which Stoke teams/ managers/ players have made impressions on you over the years... good or bad?

Not many but I liked Bojan.

4. The Stoke support: home and away - any thoughts? are we typical? Is there anything that makes us distinctive from other clubs?

Proper fans I’d say. Always pretty loud away and the home crowd at Stoke is one of the better atmospheres.

5. Our grounds old and new - any particular memories/ opinions on the The Victoria Ground or the new Soulless version?

Not old enough to visit the Victoria Ground but as someone who has been to 90% of away grounds in the top two divisions, Stoke’s is definitely not soulless.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.