Stoke fan here in peace...

Remember Gordon Banks playing a blinder at Maine Rd in circa 1972 they beat us 2-1 IIRC and effectively stopped us winning the title.Also a great 3rd round cup tie in 1973 finished with a 3-2 City win at Maine Rd.Went to Victoria ground in 1974/5 for a 4-0 drubbing by Alan Hudson’s team,stood on an open terrace I think.
Boxing Day fancy dress was amazing turnout by Blues and remember Bamber scoring for Stoke that day.
Wembley 2011 and Stoke 1998 couldn’t have been more high and low if you tried.

I love oatcakes (had a bacon & cheese one for breakfast yesterday), but the best thing about Stoke, unless you are a fan of ceramics, is the Titanic brewery, named after Captain John Smith who originated from Stoke. Plum Porter is the beer of the gods!
There’s a brilliant naan bread bakery, a few minutes walk away from the brewery, on waterloo road.

I had family in Stoke-on-Trent although they were probably in Port Vale territory.

I never thought of Stoke City in a negative light although Tony Pulis does create a lot of negative images. That is regardless of which team he is managing.

I have not been to the current stadium but went to the Victoria Grounds on many occasions. I did go to Old Trafford
once to see Stoke play. Or rather to see a 50-year-old Stanley Matthews play! In the Tony Waddington era I did quite like Stoke City.

I cannot quite remember the match against Stoke at Maine Road very clearly as it was in the early 70's and i was only very young, but what i do remember was the Platt Lane where i was sat being filled by Stoke fans in the top right hand corner who only let themselves be known when Jimmy Greenhoff scored. They were the days when many away fans used to get into the Platt Lane in large numbers and then start creating havoc!!!!!

"East Midlands"? Do you mind me asking where you get that from?

Diane Abbott gave me directions.

In fairness, I had no idea where it was as I’ve never been. I got the Euston to Piccadilly train for a decade which went through Stoke but I never took interest. I thought it was nearer to Derby. I also don’t drive.

Some inbreds before the 1-0 home defeat wouldn’t take their eyes of me on the train up. Absolute cowards singling out one lone scarfer.

First memory of Stoke was the Boxing Day game at the Victoria Ground circa 1988. We were given over 10000 tickets and many turned up in fancy dress. Top day although we lost 3-1 after taking an early lead! Never saw any rivalry until late 90s as we fell down the leagues. Got a bit tasty at Maine Rd when we won and our fans goaded the away support! Was at the Britannia for the 5-2 game when we went down. Was like a war zone lol! Always had respect for what Pulis did at Stoke and cup final was a totally different occasion. Expected it to be tasty but there was tons of mutual respect between fans.
2. Relegation game (5-2) and the cup final are the obvious ones but the game we won 2-1 at Maine Rd turned out season round and we went up via the playoffs.
3. Thought Pulis did a great job at Stoke. Made you hard to beat and you cut your cloth accordingly.
4. Always thought your support was lively particularly as we fell down the leagues. Always remember the rendition of Delilah at Maine Rd. Proper fans.
5. Went to the Victoria ground. Like many old grounds it was tired and either needed upgrading or a new stadium. Don’t dislike the Britannia - been a few times and always liked the atmosphere there. Always a decent occasion when we both play.

I was at the 88 Boxing Day game that was one of my all time favorite away memories (along with beating Villa 2-1 to end that really long away games without a win in the early 90s under Kendell). However, the strangest game I think I have ever been to was Alan Ball's last game in-charge(Paul Dickov's debut as I recall), when there was a uniting of the fans in out hatred for Alan Ball all four ends singing for 90mins that they wanted him sacked it was serial experience

Remember Gordon Banks playing a blinder at Maine Rd in circa 1972 they beat us 2-1 IIRC and effectively stopped us winning the title.Also a great 3rd round cup tie in 1973 finished with a 3-2 City win at Maine Rd.Went to Victoria ground in 1974/5 for a 4-0 drubbing by Alan Hudson’s team,stood on an open terrace I think.
Boxing Day fancy dress was amazing turnout by Blues and remember Bamber scoring for Stoke that day.
Wembley 2011 and Stoke 1998 couldn’t have been more high and low if you tried.
You have an excellent memory W76!
I remember that late 80s boxing day match when Big Dave Bamber scored.for Stoke proper old school centre forward.I also remember him playing for Swindon,when City visited the County grpund under Machin.Swindon had a corner,ball landed in 6yard box at Paul Lakes feet.. Big Dave Bamber immediately homed in...quick as a flash,the youthful Lake nutmegged Bamber,.ran past him..,and surged the length of the right side of the County ground pitch, crossed for White who blazed over...There were times,under Machin,that our youth team graduates were sublime,and made us Blues proud,and that scintillating counter attack was one of em!

I think my first visit was a 2-0 win in 1977 when there were 13,000 blues on the ground.
Stoke used to be one of the best aways in the late 70's and through the 80's. We used to be on the train into Stoke at 10:30 and knocking on the door of The Talbot. It was invariably lively - especially remember one match that was postponed before kick off and we stayed in Stoke until we got thrown out of the pub. Most blues had already left & the Stokies were on the lookout for stragglers.
I think what ruined the fixture wasn't necessarily the new ground but more that the police made it impossible to go anywhere other than that shit student bar.
I think our first visit to the Britannia was the 5-2 relegation game followed by a Friday night game (Weikens 1-0) the following season.
It was another 10 years before we were back in Stoke by which time the police had decided to make the town centre a no-go area for visiting fans.
After that we always drank in Macc & got a late train in followed by a taxi or a walk down the towpath.
Regarding your fans, I think unsurprisingly you were loud in the seasons when things were going well but fell away alarmingly during the last couple of seasons in the Prem. Whilst the atmosphere at the Etihad is quite rightly criticized, I don't think our support would fall away as quickly as yours did if results started going against us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.