City v Ipswich 1981 FA Cup Semi

Excellent I was on his coach with my all Dave we got on at The Windmill

I know loads are named Dave.
But by any coincidence a small guy, long Black hair and glasses?
I stayed at Alan Edwards. His parents lived at Thornley Lane South. Stayed there for up to a full four weeks.

Was in Witton Road aged 15. Always remember City goal came in 100th minute. 100th FA Cup Final to follow and despite being best side in both finals managed to fuck it up. Also remember City massively outnumbering the Ipswich country bumpkins that day.

Went on a coach from Radcliffe on my own. Went in the Holte End right at the back. So far back it felt like being inside and watching the game from miles away. Superb view of Power's goal and on the way home loads of cars had Power's picture from the match programme pressed against the windows.

I know loads are named Dave.
But by any coincidence a small guy, long Black hair and glasses?
I stayed at Alan Edwards. His parents lived at Thornley Lane South. Stayed there for up to a full four weeks.
No mate he was blonde,Remember the Name Alan Edward's though

What a great day, my first visit to Villa Park, was in the Holte End and went down on Yelloway Coaches from Middleton as I did for both the finals.

What a great day, my first visit to Villa Park, was in the Holte End and went down on Yelloway Coaches from Middleton as I did for both the finals.

I travelled to away games on Yelloways for a few seasons in the 80's... there were more than a few characters on those coaches !!!

ipswich under the late Sir bobby were favourites with a team full of world class players Muhren Gates Mills Butcher Osman Wark to name a few We were pumped up full of Bondie"s inspiration I WAS 15years old and like many went on to follow us through all fa cup ties that year mainly thanks to my dads mate who saw to coach travel as we progressed The tension going to VP was palpable made worse when we got there to find we were sat with them lot.City had half the impressively packed Holte End the atmosphere was electric My age and many years of gulping down Morphine (legally} has taken many memories of the game However they were having chunks of it till that bloody fantastic PP Free kick mayhem broke out and my late Uncle kissed a Punjabi gentleman it did not matter We were on the march with JB army and we were all going to Wembley

As a 14 year old who was entering the wide, wide world of attending Our away games week in week out right until the present day, this game long lives in the memory for so many reasons, from the legendary winning free kick to being engulfed outside by the largest amount of intoxicated Blues I'd ever had the fortune to be amongst! Was funny also coming back on the M6 and being passed by an executive coach with all it's curtains shut tight which I quite rightly guessed was u....d's team coach on the way back from Cov, they had won but Dave Sexton's sacking soon followed and til this day even though they went on a mad winning spree til the end of the season I think Our appearance in the Centenary Cup Final cost that man his job.

I know it was sold out. Tickets were like gold dust.
I was at that match in the Holte End.

It was (almost) my first live City match in four years after moving to the Midlands. I was working in Birmingham and living in Coventry at the time. I had seen City play out a 1-1 draw at Coventry sitting with some of my Sky Blues supporting pals earlier in the season.

I called in a favour to get the semi-final ticket.

I too remember being in the Leppings Lane end watching us in the mid 80's. I remember it because the two centre pens were crammed full and you couldn't move. Both me and my brother asked a copper at the front of the stand can he open a gate and let us into the next pen because of the crush. We weren't weak and feeble as we were both in our mid 20's and fit, but the crush was getting unbearable and you simply couldn't watch the game. We had to force our elbows out in front of our chests to give us chance to breath. The coppers response was "Shut it or you're out". I hope he remembered saying that a few years later when the inevitable happened.
i was in the leppings just late 80s it was near xmas City fans were doing a daft version of nelly the elephant and in the crush got seperated from my mates remember questioning the authorities why only had three pens open

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.