Alf wood r.i.p.

I saw Alf play a fair number of matches, mostly for the Reserve team and the Youth team. This included the memorable FA Youth Cup two-legged semi-final against United in 1964. The two matches were played with massive crowds and depicted in the Colin Schindler book.

City had Glyn Pardoe, Mike Doyle, and Alan Ogley playing who were in or around the first team squad. Unfortunately United had David Sadler, John Aston, and George Best who were first team regulars.

I hoped that Alf would go on to establish himself in the first team for City. However he did not last long after the arrival of Mercer and Allison and moved on to Shrewsbury.

I saw Alf play a fair number of matches, mostly for the Reserve team and the Youth team. This included the memorable FA Youth Cup two-legged semi-final against United in 1964. The two matches were played with massive crowds and depicted in the Colin Schindler book.

City had Glyn Pardoe, Mike Doyle, and Alan Ogley playing who were in or around the first team squad. Unfortunately United had David Sadler, John Aston, and George Best who were first team regulars.

I hoped that Alf would go on to establish himself in the first team for City. However he did not last long after the arrival of Mercer and Allison and moved on to Shrewsbury.
Those two legs were the first football matches I attended after begging my parents to take me. Great atmosphere for Youth matches and plenty of goals but the rags cheated a bit playing Best. ;-)

RIP Alf.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.