Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

What seems clear at present is that there will be no large gatherings allowed until a vaccine is available. So we will not be back as fans inside the Etihad any time soon. Playing games behind closed doors for the benefit of TV audiences might suit the PL but I can not see that helping the lower divisions. Also how does a player get themselves stimulated to play at an intense level without the crowd atmosphere to spur them on.

If the PL finish this season behind closed doors, are they going to start the next one without spectators as well?
Well we do have previous for putting crowd noise through the PA...

There’s no point saying you’d rather football not be played if it’s going to be behind closed doors because it just won’t survive. It will go ahead behind closed doors until a vaccine has been found or a way to treat the virus. Sad thing is a lot of smaller clubs will go under as they rely on match day revenue to survive.
You are waiting for a vaccine? That’s wishful thinking. That could be a few years down the line. Also, if bill gates or his corrupt WHO are developing it, then no thank you. I’m not taking it. But bigger picture is normalcy has to return soon. If not, civil unrest and suicide from financial despair will cost way more lives than the virus. For me personally, I’d rather spend time watching replays of classic matches than boring no atmosphere no fan games.

You are waiting for a vaccine? That’s wishful thinking. That could be a few years down the line. Also, if bill gates or his corrupt WHO are developing it, then no thank you. I’m not taking it. But bigger picture is normalcy has to return soon. If not, civil unrest and suicide from financial despair will cost way more lives than the virus. For me personally, I’d rather spend time watching replays of classic matches than boring no atmosphere no fan games.

Normalcy return soon? Are you sure? Definitely not going to happen. Staged restrictions will apply until September at the earliest. Your desire to watch classic matches will be borne out.

Football where in a bubble that was getting bigger and bigger.

It was hard to think what would stop it, but it will be this.

Don’t get me wrong it will come back and us guys will be there (the ones still on a football forum despite no games/ transfers), we’re the die hard fans.

However the important casual fans of which SKY/ BT require the money from I’m not too sure.

Watching matches with no fans in the stadium, does not work well on TV and the longer they go without it and saving the money the less likely they are to go back.

There is a reason that SKY have paused everyone’s subscriptions as they scared of cancellations. They need the habit, once the habit of planning wk ends around football goes it will be hard to get back.

It could well be for the best, the hardship is the number of clubs that this will ruin and they will have to start again.

You're right. I had a "wobble" when I was out getting some food for my mum and dad earlier. The sheer magnitude of this "thing". A glorious, bright sunny sky but I struggled to think of how I'd describe the day in anything but sinister terms - "it's a beautiful day". It is. But isn't. I'm just looking at my kids roaring with laughter in the garden as they soak each other with the hosepipe. I'm so glad they don't seem anguished by this. I do my best to stay upbeat, keep a lid on the scale of this, remember it will pass and thank my stars I can hug, kiss and hold them tightly. Yes, we are all in this together. Ta bud.
stay strong, family is everything, choose your mood

Mention of cut outs of supporters reminds me of Arsenal when they building a new stand at Highbury. They had a screen with paintings of watching supporters celebrating.

Those painted were a lot more animated than any of the actual supporters you will find at the Emirates now!

The PC brigade got right on that as to begin with they were all white males :)

It was changed to make it a more diverse and inclusive screen.

Denial - start of 2020, the first news about this strange virus in China that probably wont touch us
Anger - postponed game against Arsenal
Bargaining - a few dozen dead at worst / restart of PL in early April
Depression - beginning of April, stuck in a room 11 days with a fever/high temperature, pain all over my body and fear that a settling bronchitis is gonna turn into medics taking me to the hospital
Acceptance - right now, me healthy almost 100%, sipping fizzy elder flower cordial, reading Bluemoon and not giving fcuk about football until this virus is gone 100%

We never lost that - it is an historical falacy.

We kept all of Canada (which was the main disputed land) bar one province the French had and trade between Britain and America actually increased ten-fold after the war ended.

We were also fighting against other countries in Europe at the same time.

We fought them six thousand miles from home, with one hand tied behind our backs and they still couldn't land a killer punch. Our cash coffers were more fucked than our kilts and redcoats.
I tell my American mates we did a strategic withdrawal. We could see the writing was on the wall for a fucked up Republic and we didn't want anything to do with it !

If they push back I tell them this is what I was taught/told in school, so it must be correct ;)

Denial - start of 2020, the first news about this strange virus in China that probably wont touch us
Anger - postponed game against Arsenal
Bargaining - a few dozen dead at worst / restart of PL in early April
Depression - beginning of April, stuck in a room 11 days with a fever/high temperature, pain all over my body and fear that a settling bronchitis is gonna turn into medics taking me to the hospital
Acceptance - right now, me healthy almost 100%, sipping fizzy elder flower cordial, reading Bluemoon and not giving fcuk about football until this virus is gone 100%
I'm actually done with the Premier League, UEFA and FIFA.

The only thing I'm hearing is "When can we start again, and how do we finish this season?"

Thousands of people have died ffs.

I appreciate the players efforts - but a 99 year old war veteran has raised over 12 million on his own.

I hope there's a small team left I can support locally after this
(I will ALWAYS be a Blue - but will not support the money grabbing PL anymore)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.