Running thread

A few weeks ago I had lost the motivation to go out running. Came on this thread and it got me going again.

Last 10 days I have been taking the dog for a 5 mile walk each day, with a bit of jogging for short interval. Dogs got a decent pace even if I haven’t !

It has helped build back into the routine.

Similar story. A month before lockdown I was down to 20:27 on my local park run, which is not the easiest, and so felt ready, after running the Wilmslow Half Marathon, to push on and break 20 mins. Still go out running but without timed events and and competition I am definitely going in the wrong direction.

20 or 21 mins, those times are brilliant lads! Certainly faster than Ross Barkley anyway ;-)

Agreed have done this myself, great initiative. Noticing lots of people signing up to Strava etc. at the moment too.

Over £3m raised so far which is brilliant! Bit of a shame that Branson will apparently get a small % of the money raised though as the donation page is on the Virgin Money Giving platform.
Reason I’m not fucking doing it, fuck him.

Not sure about the fat loss but they really improve performance and endurance.

Warning though, and this sounds obvious but they are bloody hard and much more demanding than your standard run.

I started doing 45 sec sprints up the clifftop and I was completely shattered. Great feeling at the end though.
Sprints training and resistance weight training are the two best things for fat loss:
https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/sprint-burpees
(Can ignore the training plan at the end, can find any to suit each person)

If you’re running to lose fat you’re better of doing sprint sets rather than running distances.

You’ll shred the fat miles more efficiently than running distances at a long distance pace, even if you find the longer distances hard, they’re nowhere near as good as sprint training for fat loss.

If your feet and joints hurt, ten thousand metres (especially on roads) is doing that no good neither. Sprints sessions (especially on grass) will be much kinder to your joints as you won’t be putting your feet and joints under 30-40 minutes of continuous impact of a 10k.
You're half right and here's why.

"If you’re running to lose fat you’re better of doing sprint sets rather than running distances."
Yes and no. Sprints are effective for burning fat but this is only really significant in the context of high-intensity interval training (HIIT). And even then, it won't have any significant effect on its own. So simply going out and doing some sprints won't necessarily have much impact. When you perform a HIIT session, you alternate between sprints and recoveries. When the sprints reach (typically) about 4 minutes, your body responds by essentially expecting this to keep happening so this is where the 'afterburn' effect comes in: your metabolism remains elevated for some hours afterwards so you continue to burn fat through increased heart rate etc.

Some reasons why it's not as effective as often claimed:
Firstly, if you're doing it right, you will only have about 4 repeats or so per session. And the impact that they have is that significant recovery is required from these sessions, meaning you can only do it in an effective manner once per week - at most (many do them fortnightly). This is where the science around HIIT is often misunderstood by those aiming to use it for fat loss. One weekly session - of any kind - isn't going to burn enough calories on its own to facilitate effective weight loss. Say you want to lose 3,500 kcals or so per week (roughly equivalent to 0.5kg weight loss), do you think you're gonna get even anywhere remotely near that from one session? No chance.

"You’ll shred the fat miles more efficiently than running distances at a long distance pace, even if you find the longer distances hard, they’re nowhere near as good as sprint training for fat loss."
The first part of this is correct. HIIT (not sprints but specifically HIIT) IS indeed more efficient in terms of the time and distance involved. However, this is irrelevant because those times and distances are so small that it doesn't matter how efficient they are.

"If your feet and joints hurt, ten thousand metres (especially on roads) is doing that no good neither. Sprints sessions (especially on grass) will be much kinder to your joints as you won’t be putting your feet and joints under 30-40 minutes of continuous impact of a 10k."
I'm afraid that this appears to be a myth. I'm yet to see any good evidence that suggests road running to be bad for joints. I'm happy to read any that you might come across though.

Last edited:
Sprints training and resistance weight training are the two best things for fat loss:
https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/sprint-burpees
(Can ignore the training plan at the end, can find any to suit each person)

Cheers, the one thing of late is I have become sloppy with my diet. Managed to drop from 13st 2 to 11st 13 over the past 3 months but working from home and having access to food all day has been a real killer.

It is my intention to incorporate more sprints or hill sprints into my training once all this is over as It has been hit and miss rather than a structured event in my training.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.