COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not say cure did I.

I said treatment. As I said in the edit above, people used to die from HIV infections. Now they do not.

Development of any treatment which prevents people from dying of Coronavirus would be similarly welcome.

And BTW, you're also mistaken about cures. There are examples if former HiV positive people who have been cured and are no longer HIV positive.
Ah i read it wrong then,i read this..

If we can figure that out, and develop a treatment such that if you catch this, you pop down to the docs and he/she says "take 2 of these tablets 3 times a day and come back in a fortnight if it's not cleared up" - then it won't matter whether we have a vaccine if not

As you meaning we might find an actually cure for it,as it stands we can't cure a virus,HIV is about getting an undetectable viral load,i think,until it is widespread it is not really a cure for the disease

I am not sure i am being clear,i have not even had a beer,perhaps i should!

Putting this here. mutation tracker.

Can’t recall who posted it originally and I’m not sure how to parse the info to be honest.

https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global?s=Belgium/PAN-030681/2020

As far as I can tell, what it is is a summary of just over 700 sequences located, arranged by country, date, etc.
They don't draw any conclusions from it, but researchers in the field will be able to draw theories from how wide the range of mutations is, and how fast.

A mutation does not necessarily mean a significant difference to any proposed treatment. However, what they can definitely do is see where in the sequence most mutations occur. That will suggest for any treatment targetted at any section of the sequence how likely to be disrupted by mutation. - this will affect some treatment theories, but not all.

Mutation mutation mutation......
Try this.

Key sentence from summary "Therefore, we provide direct evidence that the SARS-CoV-2 has acquired mutations capable of substantially changing its pathogenicity."
The genetic code is degenerate in that there are different combinations of 3 codon bases that encode for the same amino acid. That's GCSE Biology.

Forgive me for being morbid here, but a few weeks ago when this started I really feared for countries that have a high level of poverty and density. I thought if its ripping through the UK what would it to to counties in Africa, India and some in South America.

It hasn’t transpired that way. Just I can’t fathom why.

Makes a change from people sticking the boot into the NHS.
The front line staff are lions. The management and senior bureacrates are donkeys.
That is patently obvious from any rational analysis of the the situation.
On Thursday night I cheer for the lions and every day I pray that the donkeys get a grip and buck their fucking game up.

Forgive me for being morbid here, but a few weeks ago when this started I really feared for countries that have a high level of poverty and density. I thought if its ripping through the UK what would it to to counties in Africa, India and some in South America.

Tbh mate, its just a matter of time apparently. Sadly I think they're just a bit behind the curve.

Airports shut

Ah i read it wrong then,i read this..

If we can figure that out, and develop a treatment such that if you catch this, you pop down to the docs and he/she says "take 2 of these tablets 3 times a day and come back in a fortnight if it's not cleared up" - then it won't matter whether we have a vaccine if not

As you meaning we might find an actually cure for it,as it stands we can't cure a virus,HIV is about getting an undetectable viral load,i think,until it is widespread it is not really a cure for the disease

I am not sure i am being clear,i have not even had a beer,perhaps i should!
No worries Karen. But you don't "usually* die from flu do you - but flu is another viral infection. You get flu and you take OTT remedies until you feel better. And if rarely it develops into pneumonia, then we whack you on Amoxicillin and that usually clears it up.

I am not talking about us curing people from COVID-19 but if we could get to a place where catching it was no more concerning than were you to catch flu, it would mean we can get back to normal.

Most are barely doing any testing and many deaths are not being reported. It should also be pointed out that there is probably a smaller percentage if people ar risk due to reduced life expectancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.