Scariest away day following City

Got corporate I'm the Stretford End when we got beat two nowt when Cantona got both. I raged about a United tackle and a lad in front who was utd said something. I threatened him and he said I was just agreeing with you. I didn't feel good and felt super stupid....

He was living in leve mate but I've not seen him for about two years as you say he's a fucking sound fella but mad as lol.
He's been doing a few aways with us and he's now living in heaton mersey
Retired now but as someone said he would never take a backward step
Still wont buy a drink !!!

Joined this forum mainly to tell my story in this thread from another perspective.

25 Aug 1984. Plough lane AFC Wimbledon vs Manchester City

As a (then) very passionate Chelsea fan (from Sweden) I traveled to London 2-3 times a season mainly to watch Chelsea.
However all English matches, around London, I could see during a visit I would go to.
That day Chelsea played Arsenal at Highbury and I went to that game. Kick off at 11:30. I considered myself pretty streetwise after all my travels and sure enough I had no problems getting to and from Highbury without any fuss. Knowing what to look out for and how to blend in.
I had a small bag with me that I filled with Chelsea Souvenirs on sale and after the game made may way to South London. Took ages to get there and once at the ground the only stand still open was the away end. I was just about the last person in before the shut the turnstiles.
I was about to have my first close encounter with Mancunians...

The crumbling terrace was packed and devoid of any "safe space". It was a combination of many things in the stand. Frustration with the game, Wimbledon 2-0 up early on, a "somewhat" drunken crowd, Chelsea fans turning up and pelting missiles from the road outside the ground and various scuffles with the police. Although I speak decent English I could not understand random comments, because of the heavy accents, from people nearby and decided to just keep quiet and watch the game no matter what happens. Once City scored I made a point of doing my own very visible celebration.
Trying to sell the image of "He might be a weird recluse but at least he's a city fan"

But that bag full of Chelsea gear didn't seem like such a good idea any longer...

I didn't move an inch for 105 minutes I think. And once the away end was informed that we would be kept in for our own security until further notice the tempers flared again. I just thought; this is not going to end well.
As we finally were allowed out a copper kept saying there are plenty Chelsea fans still in the area so take care.
So there was another level of anxiety. Escape this mob only to get whacked by the Headhunters.
However. At 21 I was a pretty good runner... My plan was crystal clear. Once outside I'll set off like a bullet and I'll keep going full pelt for 10 minutes in my chosen direction no matter what. No one is going to catch me. Then a cab.

I've been in plenty of tight situations in my life but never felt as vulnerable as then...

But as all good stories it has a happy ending. I love the city of Manchester now and have done for quite some time.

Was that 76 when Hartford scored. I was there with my old man in the main stand.

I honestly don't remember the year mate, I just remember some Evertonian walking past shouting "where's cracknel" he stopped and asked me had Les Cracknel travelled and said he was gonna kill him, they'd been in jail together. Then these young Everton fans said " stand over here lah" there was a chant of City ! City! and I was about to walk over and they stopped me, it was Everton and they attacked everyone who went over.
They said I could go with them but I declined, kept my gob shut and got home safe. Never felt that way anywhere else mate although that was the game I stopped going to games on my own.

Joined this forum mainly to tell my story in this thread from another perspective.

25 Aug 1984. Plough lane AFC Wimbledon vs Manchester City

As a (then) very passionate Chelsea fan (from Sweden) I traveled to London 2-3 times a season mainly to watch Chelsea.
However all English matches, around London, I could see during a visit I would go to.
That day Chelsea played Arsenal at Highbury and I went to that game. Kick off at 11:30. I considered myself pretty streetwise after all my travels and sure enough I had no problems getting to and from Highbury without any fuss. Knowing what to look out for and how to blend in.
I had a small bag with me that I filled with Chelsea Souvenirs on sale and after the game made may way to South London. Took ages to get there and once at the ground the only stand still open was the away end. I was just about the last person in before the shut the turnstiles.
I was about to have my first close encounter with Mancunians...

The crumbling terrace was packed and devoid of any "safe space". It was a combination of many things in the stand. Frustration with the game, Wimbledon 2-0 up early on, a "somewhat" drunken crowd, Chelsea fans turning up and pelting missiles from the road outside the ground and various scuffles with the police. Although I speak decent English I could not understand random comments, because of the heavy accents, from people nearby and decided to just keep quiet and watch the game no matter what happens. Once City scored I made a point of doing my own very visible celebration.
Trying to sell the image of "He might be a weird recluse but at least he's a city fan"

But that bag full of Chelsea gear didn't seem like such a good idea any longer...

I didn't move an inch for 105 minutes I think. And once the away end was informed that we would be kept in for our own security until further notice the tempers flared again. I just thought; this is not going to end well.
As we finally were allowed out a copper kept saying there are plenty Chelsea fans still in the area so take care.
So there was another level of anxiety. Escape this mob only to get whacked by the Headhunters.
However. At 21 I was a pretty good runner... My plan was crystal clear. Once outside I'll set off like a bullet and I'll keep going full pelt for 10 minutes in my chosen direction no matter what. No one is going to catch me. Then a cab.

I've been in plenty of tight situations in my life but never felt as vulnerable as then...

But as all good stories it has a happy ending. I love the city of Manchester now and have done for quite some time.
Pretty much remember it the same we had a stand-off with them on the way back to the van one of the lads got nicked , they let him out at Kensington nick then on the piss in soho & kipped in deckchairs In green park great away day weather was red hot

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.