47000 my arse!

It’s one I’ve always challenged. The stadium capacitywas over 52k at the time and it was absolutely packed with people sitting on steps in the 3 seated stands. The only place with space was the away terracing. Whenever I challenged Bernard Halford on this he got quite defensive and always tried diverting the conversation on to something else.

The other match where I thought the attendance was way above the official figure was the FA Cup tie v Sunderland in 1973, even the official attendance was 2,000 above the then capacity at 54,478 and the Kippax looked as if you couldn't squeeze a fag paper between the fans.

Arrived at the ground to see huge queues for all Kippax turnstiles. As they were all beginning to close, I suggested we join the small Charlton turnstile queue. As a Welshman, I told the copper we were Welsh Charlton fans. They let the 4 of us in and there was plenty of room at kick off. But, it increasingly got packed as more City fans had the same idea.
Remember the Kippax singing a supportive Charlton song as everyone was just grateful they didn't "do a Luton".
Weather was boiling that day...

Was 15yrs old & the kippax was a scary place that day!! you could hardly breath at times never mind move, never felt like that on a game ever, but what a day!!

Me & me mates had a few sherbets before & time’s our arrival for just before 3. Got there at 2.55 & we were 2 up by the time we got in!!

The other match where I thought the attendance was way above the official figure was the FA Cup tie v Sunderland in 1973, even the official attendance was 2,000 above the then capacity at 54,478 and the Kippax looked as if you couldn't squeeze a fag paper between the fans.
Yeah that was heaving too, I'd also chuck in the Everton FA cup reply in '81.

It’s one I’ve always challenged. The stadium capacitywas over 52k at the time and it was absolutely packed with people sitting on steps in the 3 seated stands. The only place with space was the away terracing. Whenever I challenged Bernard Halford on this he got quite defensive and always tried diverting the conversation on to something else.
Bernard knew where the bodies were buried!

I remember that the bench seated corner between Platt Lane and the Main Stand was absolutely rammed. Whatever the official capacity of the ground was, that corner of the ground wasn't included in it, because it didn't have a safety certificate as cracks were found in the concrete under-structure. It was amply clear that too many people had been let into every part of the ground, hence every aisle down the stands was occupied. I spoke to people who went in the Platt Lane stand and they said there were at least 3 people in there for every space on the benches.

I was in the Kippax, we were 2-nil up by the time I managed to get in the ground and I had to fight my way down the centre tunnel to get within sight of the pitch. Absolutely rammed and way above what the safety licence would have allowed, and hence way above what the official capacity would have stated. I'd estimate there were 60-65 thousand in the ground that day.

It was a fantastic day, but Swales's greed (back pocket funds for him and his trusty henchmen like Mr Manchester City himself, Halford) and disregard for the supporters could easily have led to there being a disaster on both sides of the Pennines that day.
I think 65k is pushing it, not least because the Charlton end was sparsely populated and took up more space than it needed. They probably could have fitted in above that tunnel between the Kippax and the Platt Lane. Think it was high 50’s myself fwiw.

I was 14, and was with my Dad in the Platt Lane End. Couldn't get in anywhere else.

I recall it being pretty full in there, with only a small pocket of Charlton fans in front of us.

My dad's from the Bradford area, so the news from Valley Parade was shattering.

Last edited:
That's what you call an atmosphere. I was on the Kippax that day. Standing with my mates. I miss the good old days of standing where you like and not being dictated to. Also refreshing that there was no stupid stadium announcer and loud music..Just the Maine road crowd and a very passionate loyal Kippax to greet you

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.