47000 my arse!

That was my 1st ever trip to Maine Road. 17 years old. Got the train on my own to Manchester. Got off at the train station and walked to the ground with some rasta who I had asked directions from. On the train back when we stopped at Leeds I saw quite a few people covered in black soot as this was the same day as the Bradford fire. My mother and father had no idea that I had been to the game as I told them I was going to see the Damned at Durham Uni

I was in mainstand block H I think Kippax looked amazing great day although given what went on at Bradford that day your spot on could have been an issue.

I was block H as well. Great memories.

Funny see the crowd getting nervous in the first few minutes as we passed it around at the back. Pep wouldnt have been impressed.

That's what you call an atmosphere. I was on the Kippax that day. Standing with my mates. I miss the good old days of standing where you like and not being dictated to. Also refreshing that there was no stupid stadium announcer and loud music..Just the Maine road crowd and a very passionate loyal Kippax to greet you
Days like that are why we love football and why it’s so sad to see how sanitised the game is now.

Teams coming out separately with City given a huge ovation and the opponents booed was a big factor in creating a great atmosphere. No shitty artificial handshakes either, just two groups of men ready to get down to business.

I feel a bit sorry for young lads now who’ve never known anything different than the watered down match day experience we have now, it used to be so much more fun

Same day as the Bradford fire, remember hearing about it on the news coming home, then seeing the horrific images on the news later
A young fan was also killed at the Birmingham v Leeds game that day. A day of joy for City but terrible events elsewhere, safety wasn't a high priority in some boardrooms in those days.

Days like that are why we love football and why it’s so sad to see how sanitised the game is now.

Teams coming out separately with City given a huge ovation and the opponents booed was a big factor in creating a great atmosphere. No shitty artificial handshakes either, just two groups of men ready to get down to business.

I feel a bit sorry for young lads now who’ve never known anything different than the watered down match day experience we have now, it used to be so much more fun

Totally agree and well put. I hate the match day experience and the new generation have missed out big time. To be stood next to your mates and have banter with the lads that surrounded you was priceless. Both home and away was an amazing experience especially on the football specials. The frog march into the grounds.

A young fan was also killed at the Birmingham v Leeds game that day. A day of joy for City but terrible events elsewhere, safety wasn't a high priority in some boardrooms in those days.
Wasn't the problem at St.Andrews caused by a wall collapsing and crushing the young fan beneath it.
Eerily prediction of what would happen at Heysel a few weeks later.

Wasn't the problem at St.Andrews caused by a wall collapsing and crushing the young fan beneath it.
Eerily prediction of what would happen at Heysel a few weeks later.
Yeah, pretty sure it was a collapsing wall ,think there'd been quite a bit of crowd trouble. Tragic for the young lad and his family.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.