47000 my arse!

Thanks for the reply. That's interesting as Bernard was always very open wasn't he? He obviously knew something but was properly told to keep quiet. As I mentioned in my earlier post the windy corner where I use to stand was packed. Never seen it so full and the kippax itself was heaving. Looking at the video I would estimate around 55,000 was there
Bernard was responsible for ticket sales and gate receipts.

The other match where I thought the attendance was way above the official figure was the FA Cup tie v Sunderland in 1973, even the official attendance was 2,000 above the then capacity at 54,478 and the Kippax looked as if you couldn't squeeze a fag paper between the fans.
Bernard’s first game - he told me he didn’t realise how long it took to close the Kippax turnstiles and by the time they were all closed the stadium was full. Official crowd equaled the safety certificate of the time.

Great watching that, but it gives rise to a few random thoughts:

Watching Williams play, I found myself wondering how many black goalkeepers have played in the top flight. Either old First Division or Premier League. Not many, I should imagine. For some reason, they just don't seem to go for that position.

The actual quality of the football. I realised how blasé and spoilt we've become about watching the Rolls-Royce football of the last eight or nine years, and especially since Pep's arrival. We really weren't very good at that time, were we? There's a lot of hoofball being played by both sides, frankly. A lot of first balls poorly controlled, and then given away wildly. We just never play football even vaguely like that, now. That City side could barely have got the ball off the current one, I believe.

I'm slightly uneasy about hearing the crowd sing “You'll never walk alone” at one point. Did we really sing that at times? I have no memory of us singing it when I was most regularly on the Kippax, in the late sixties and right through the seventies. (I'm well aware, by the way, that although it seems to have been patented by that lot down the East Lancs Road, it was never exclusively their song. But I have no memory of us having any great affection for it).

I'm pretty sure City fans sang YNWA way before Liverpool fans did. Think i might have seen this in one of @Gary James books?

I’m somewhere left of centre to the back of the kippax

I was a dishevelled wreck afterwards but very happy

I was 13, 3rd year season ticket holder and have been ever since. This was one of my best memories of Maine Road. Sunshine. On the pitch with my cousins, back in the big time. Loved it. Match special back to Town.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.