Paying off a mortgage?

With regard to the pension, is she actially taking retirement or just eligable to take the 25% tax free?

Just wondering as i know the pension pots have taken a real hit and so may be better holding off until they recover their value.

Id suggest taking advice,

This would apply to AVCs so a fair point - the majority don't bother with AVCs though.

If retiring at 55 it is around a 42% decrease on the current pot, so better to defer the actual pension for a few years and live off AVCs if you can setting up a SIP to avoid tax.

With regard to the pension, is she actially taking retirement or just eligable to take the 25% tax free?

Just wondering as i know the pension pots have taken a real hit and so may be better holding off until they recover their value.

Id suggest taking advice,
She retired a few years ago because of her Lymphoma diagnosis but the NHS refused to pay the pension before she was 55 because they deemed her to be fit for work

This would apply to AVCs so a fair point - the majority don't bother with AVCs though.

If retiring at 55 it is around a 42% decrease on the current pot, so better to defer the actual pension for a few years and live off AVCs if you can setting up a SIP to avoid tax.
We’re both retired now.. I finished at the end of March at 56 because we need to live a little while Sue is well... so we’ll be off on a UK tour in the motorhome once this lockdown is over

SWMBO is 55 tomorrow and gets her NHS pension and lump sum so we are in a position to pay off the remaining mortgage on a second property we own.

I’m not sure if there is still a precedent for leaving a nominal value owing on the mortgage e.g. £10 to prevent early repayment charges or deed storage charges these days..

Does anybody have advice on this please?

Buy a third property instead!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.