Never meet your heroes.....

Not a hero of mine, but I once met Emlyn Hughes whilst waiting for a coach to take us from the terminal to the plane at Arecife airport. Speaking ill of the dead is frowned upon, so I'll say no more.

Allow me: he always got on my tits when he was a captain on Question of Sport. Giggling twat. Your experience of him doesn't surprise me one bit,

David white and Vonk when they were at Sheffield United in a nightclub in the isle of man.
Got my city membership card out and vonk took it off me and pretended to chuck it !!!
My mate also a City fan then threatened to twat him and made him apologise!!!

Went to Dublin in 2011 when the Uefa cup final was held there we booked it hoping City would be there, we played Stoke when we were there and went to watch it in a sports bar got talking to a couple of blokes that worked for the FA, Dennis Tueart came in and sat at the table with us and watched the game had a brilliant night, saw him a few years later and he remembered us

Sat in the bar chatting to the lady that managed the shop at David Lloyd Cheadle whilst my son aged 10 at the time was playing tennis, the lady spotted someone behind me, how was the racket she asked? I instantly recognise the voice of the reply and turned around to see Kevin Keegan. What a top guy l asked him for an autograph for my son, where is he KK asked. There playing tennis I pointed him out. Which one? The one with the City shirt, KK started knocking on the window and telling him to come to him, my son was too shy though. KK’s wife Jean produced a piece of paper and a pen for the autograph, obviously having been KK’s wife for so long she was equipped He stayed around chatting to people signing autographs nothing was too much trouble.

Jackie Bray - City Cup final hero from the 1930's and England international. Used to run a sports shop in Nelson Lancs in 70's/80's. Nicest guy ever and all my school mates remember his display of classic Umbro and Admiral from the day, especially City, whose Subbuteo team was in full view in the front window of the shop. Always remember those Admiral Leeds shirts and Umbro Burnley shirts with a V on the front from that time. Bumped into M Summerbee watching City v Leics on Shaftesbury Ave the day the women were in their Cup Final and he seemed very courteous. Also - my daughter and I were excited to see Zaba at Manchester airport, and being half-Spanish herself, she was able to get a photo with him, after some "Buenos dias, Senor Zaba " etc.

I recall a cup replay at Shrewsbury in 1965. I was allowed to go as a special treat. I boughI a ticket for the football special. had a very bad dose of flu for a couple of days before but just about recovered in time at catch the train. Arriving at the Gay Meadow, someone noticed that the rear gate to the terrace was not locked so the door was slid open and we all poured in without paying.

The match was terrible and Shrewsbury won 3-1. On the return journey, the team were on the special train. I would have expected them to be morose and crestfallen after such an abject performance but far from it. Most appeared to be drinking heavily and smoking whilst some were chasing the girls. Neil Young was forever combing his hair. Someone remarked that no wonder you never head the ball’!

That attitude after being outplayed by a third division side summed up what was wrong with. City in the late Poyser era.

Last edited:
Not a hero, but I met Boris Johnson not long after the 2017 General Election when at the time he was Foreign Secretary. I was shopping locally and he was on a cycling holiday with a lady friend, doing the Hadrian's Wall cycle route. He was parking his bike next to where I'd parked my car so I said "Hello, you're a long way from home". He was a really nice guy - happy to chat about the poor election result & also how he was enjoying his holiday up here. I later read in the local paper that he'd called into a cafe for a brew & was just as friendly to everyone in there, posing for selfies etc.

What an odd sight though - he was wearing an ill fitting jacket, with shirt & tie and wearing normal trousers with bike clips & sensible shoes. The only cycling gear he had on was a helmet. It struck me that he had no security guys with him (unless they were lurking in the shadows). Imagine that in the USA - he'd have been surrounded by Secret Service suits.

I recall a cup replay at Shrewsbury in 1965. I was allowed to go as a special treat. I boughI a ticket for the football special. had a very bad dose of flu for a couple of days before but just about recovered in time at catch the train. Arriving at the Gay Meadow, someone noticed that the rear gate to the terrace was not locked so the door was slid open and we all poured in without paying.

The match was terrible and Shrewsbury won 3-1. On the return journey, the team were on the special train. I would have expected them to be morose and crestfallen after such an abject performance but far from it. Most appeared to be drinking heavily and smoking whilst some were chasing the girls. Neil Young was forever combing his hair. Someone remarked that not wonder you never head the ball’!

That attitude after being outplayed by a third division side summed up what was wrong with. City in the late Poyser era.

I think City and Poyser were somewhat unlucky that season. Murray and Kevin were scoring for fun in the first half of the season, then Kevin got injured and the goals dried up. We finished 11 that season I think, but looking back it was a blessing in disguise. Poyser was sacked. Enter Mercer and Allison.

The match was terrible and Shrewsbury won 3-1. On the return journey, the team were on the special train. I would have expected them to be morose and crestfallen after such an abject performance but far from it. Most appeared to be drinking heavily and smoking whilst some were chasing the girls. Neil Young was forever combing his hair. Someone remarked that not wonder you never head the ball’!

I think City and Poyser were somewhat unlucky that season. Murray and Kevin were scoring for fun in the first half of the season, then Kevin got injured and the goals dried up. We finished 11th I think, but looking back it was a blessing in disguise. Poyser was sacked. Enter Mercer and Allison.

Was that a Wednesday night replay or am I getting mixed up with a Wednesday night replay at Swindon Town.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.