Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

I know 'bumping' threads is not the done thing, but I hope an exception can be made as this is such an important subject. I have heard it said that if alcohol was invented tomorrow, it would be banned by Monday such is the harm it can cause and I have had issues similar to the OP. I can maintain my employment and function in life, but I also know that sometimes drink comes close to taking over.

Most recently I was drinking too much in the covid-19 lockdowns, especially in 2020. I did manage a month off it in January, but then it started again & each time I start after a break, I hit it harder than before. So I decided to stop drinking at the very start of the Euros. Thought I would enjoy the games more and I suppose I did - the fact they were on ITV and BBC helped. More recently it has been the Olympics that has kept me straight: avoiding booze so I can stay up till the early hours to watch horse jumping and skateboarding and other weird stuff! But its working for me.

The reason I was thinking about this today though was for the first time in ages I thought I would be entering a pub for a very long time - I generally only go Pub to see football. I actually breathed a sigh of relief when I clicked on the TV guide and saw the Charity Shield is on BBC2 - so the pub thing can be left to worry about on another day. I'm sure I will be fine - soft drinks and football will be OK when things really get going next weekend.

I have an app on my phone that helps - I'm close to the next target of 60 days now. If anyone else wants to discuss this - please do so. I have tried AA but it is not really for me as I struggle with the quasi-religious aspect to it, although hearing people share how bad things can get, or have got has helped me as indeed did reading this thread when it was first started.

I know 'bumping' threads is not the done thing, but I hope an exception can be made as this is such an important subject. I have heard it said that if alcohol was invented tomorrow, it would be banned by Monday such is the harm it can cause and I have had issues similar to the OP. I can maintain my employment and function in life, but I also know that sometimes drink comes close to taking over.

Most recently I was drinking too much in the covid-19 lockdowns, especially in 2020. I did manage a month off it in January, but then it started again & each time I start after a break, I hit it harder than before. So I decided to stop drinking at the very start of the Euros. Thought I would enjoy the games more and I suppose I did - the fact they were on ITV and BBC helped. More recently it has been the Olympics that has kept me straight: avoiding booze so I can stay up till the early hours to watch horse jumping and skateboarding and other weird stuff! But its working for me.

The reason I was thinking about this today though was for the first time in ages I thought I would be entering a pub for a very long time - I generally only go Pub to see football. I actually breathed a sigh of relief when I clicked on the TV guide and saw the Charity Shield is on BBC2 - so the pub thing can be left to worry about on another day. I'm sure I will be fine - soft drinks and football will be OK when things really get going next weekend.

I have an app on my phone that helps - I'm close to the next target of 60 days now. If anyone else wants to discuss this - please do so. I have tried AA but it is not really for me as I struggle with the quasi-religious aspect to it, although hearing people share how bad things can get, or have got has helped me as indeed did reading this thread when it was first started.
You're doing the right thing, mate. The "breaks" from alcohol only get shorter until they eventually disappear. It's hell. Overall, I've been sober since 2004 (with a bad relapse in 2008)..I don't miss it.
All alcoholics die from alcoholism...unless they quit.

Alcohol.

Yea, it ruined my life, even before it touched my lips.

Dad drunk too much, couldn’t get to grips with things a man should.

Row upon row night after night, I could never sleep after the fight,

it’s what started my shaking.

Mum don’t turn off the light. I don’t like the night leave it on.

memories not bad dreams, They stay with you.

On the contary mate, glad you bumped it. Hope it generates another discussion, and maybe helps people.
Nice to hear you're doing well, and thanks for sharing.

Alcohol.

Sorry mate - sounds horrible.......

Alcohol.

Must have been awful to go through that as a kid. Heard similar stories of that happening to my Dad but thankfully he wasn’t like that at all. Hope it’s something you’ve been able to move on from over time mate.

I can only agree with the last two posts and thanks for everyone's support on this today, in here.

Both my parents were alcoholics, killed my mum aged 55, Dad lasted a few years more before it did for him too... I am 54 now, I have the “thirsty” gene for sure.. After being on a functioning but ultimately boozey destructive path myself , I met my now wife who didn’t and never really had drunk.. Firstly she got me out of the habit, and helped me be strict about my “problem” .. I stopped drinking Monday, Tuesday , Wednesday and sundays,, hard at first, but once I broke the habit I enjoyed the non drink days and especially the mornings.. Had so much more energy .. Also enjoyed the days when I did have a drink , plus didn’t feel the need to have that last few large swigs before I went to bed.. I know we are all different, but breaking the habit seemed to do the trick for me.. Appologies if a bit rambling.. All the best to anyone trying to give up or drink less ,
Hey really sad about your parents. Glad you've been able to keep it in check. My old fella drank too much, finished him off too early. I like a drink too much too. Have managed to keep it to Weds Fri and Sat, but really have too much then. You really do need those days off.

My Uncle is in Hospital with Liver Cirrhosis - he has sat in his bedroom drinking all through lockdown - We hadn’t seen him at all as he lives with my Nan who’s vunreable- so wasn’t aware how bad his situation was.

eventually - he was in agonising pain and couldn’t breath - Ambulance took him where he stayed inside for 3 weeks - he got discharged the other day.

his legs purple and completely swollen, his skin is yellow, he has lost all his weight and looks totally disheveled and old. He can barely speak and just mumbles and in constant pain - he went outside to put washing up and collapsed, he is back in Hospital once again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.