Never meet your heroes.....

Wasn’t there a story about a highly unpleasant incident at an airport bar soon after 9/11 where some footballers were singing songs taking the piss with American tourists around? Anyone else remember that, or am I imagining it?

Yes I think it was Lampard involved and possibly the Chelsea lot.....

Loved reading that mate, for me, Tommy was only a decent chin away from being the man back then, and I include MMH (fuck me what a tough guy) and Sugar Ray, and I don't say that lightly, still, to this day, the way Tommy finished the Duran fight was possibly the best knockout I've ever seen.
He was always my favourite. I don’t think he had a bad chin, I think he just liked a tear up too much. He was ahead against Leonard on all 3 cards, maybe he could’ve stayed out of trouble or maybe he was too tired. Had he fought Marvin the way he should’ve fought him I think his unbelievable jab and his footwork make it a long hard night for Hagler but he went to war instead. Great KO of Duran, my favourite Hearns KO is against Cuevas - never seen a guy’s body contort when getting hit like his did

KO is at 7.20

I met Paul Power once whilst having a piss in a pub in Didsbury. Not sure he was that impressed with me going “fucking legend. Ipswich 1981 Villa park, Fucking legend” whilst he was trying to siphon the python!

I then met Dickov at a Keane gig at the Apollo. Again it was Legend this, Legend that. He was a good lad. Probably thought I was a complete bellend but nevertheless!

Remember the shameful scenes when Hagler beat Alan Minter

Minter had stoked things up before the fight with his "no black guy will take my title" comment, which resulted in a nasty racist element at the fight.

Remember it well. Hagler schooled him that night and I was thrilled after Minter's stupid leadup comments. I didn't mention this fight to Marvin however when I met him many years later. Not sure that I mentioned any fight to be honest as I was a little tongue tied - unusual for me... Anyway he was more focused on my son and was warning him to stay in school and to make sure that he finished his education...well my son is now a Civil Engineer and has a good job. And has never forgotten Marvin's advice... "Dad, I was terrified of this scary looking man..." So thank you Marvelous Marvin. You are still the Man IMHO.

Met Lakey on the train going to the parade in 2011, was packed out and he got on at Davenport and I just shouted out there's lakey like a big kid, cue everyone straining their neck looking at me but I didn't give a shit.
When we got off at Piccadilly I said any chance of a photo and he duly obliged, he was with his family I might add but he had time for fans asking for photos/autographs. He's my favourite ever city player, my definite hero and to meet him, talk to him and get a photo was the icing on the cake of a great season.

Did you play with his centre parting? ;)

Remember it well. Hagler schooled him that night and I was thrilled after Minter's stupid leadup comments. I didn't mention this fight to Marvin however when I met him many years later. Not sure that I mentioned any fight to be honest as I was a little tongue tied - unusual for me... Anyway he was more focused on my son and was warning him to stay in school and to make sure that he finished his education...well my son is now a Civil Engineer and has a good job. And has never forgotten Marvin's advice... "Dad, I was terrified of this scary looking man..." So thank you Marvelous Marvin. You are still the Man IMHO.
I heard him speak about that night, he finally achieved what he’d always wanted and wasn’t allowed to celebrate in the ring due to all the missiles that were being thrown. He was really disappointed about it years later

I was staying in a hotel near Cardiff a few years ago, at the same time as the Wales team.
Introduced myself to Craig Bellamy, told him I was a City fan, shook his hand, etc.

He looked nervous and just kept saying "Oh right, okay" ... think he was relieved when I left him to it.

Didn't brain me with a golf club, though, so I can't have annoyed him too much ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.