COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
All plays a huge part though which makes it difficult to try and compare small nations doing well to countries like the UK and USA. 1000s of people landing every hour travelling into your cities, countries scared of being the first one to make a major call to put travel bans in place and commit economic suicide.

We are trying to make simple answers to very complex situations.

You don't think that Greece, a country beset by economic problems didn't think about that.

As I say they should be up and running sooner than many countries.

I appreciate that they are conference rather than PL but had the UK done something similar we would be able to restart the economy much sooner than we will do.

Karen, let's do some very easy maths together ok?

Im going to use the term mean.

1) What is the mean time between infection and symptoms?
2) What is the mean time between symptoms and death?

answer 1) 5 days
answer 2) 18 days

add them together = 23 days.

So from catching it to dying takes on average 23 days.

3) When did the most people in English hospitals die from covid (the peak)?

answer 3) 8th April.

4) when did they catch it?

answer 4) 23 days before the 8th April which is 16th of March

Here comes the big one!

When did the UK go into "lockdown"?

I'll let you answer that yourself and see if you can draw any conclusions.
As we went into lockdown on the 23rd March, it's pretty clear that social distancing a week or so earlier had a massive effect on outcomes.

Research from South Korea indicates that reinfections were actually due to false positive tests:
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-scientists-conclude-people-cannot-be-infected-twice-11981721
https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-reinfections-were-false-positives.html

As to short term immunity B and T lymphocyte cells are now know to exist for at least 3 months from people who were ill (not mild illness).
Medium and long term immunity will be dependent on whether B & T lymphocyte mory cells created in small numbers are bound to our bone marrow and how fast the virus mutates.

Probable as you suggest that we have some degree of immunity and also very likely that cv19 is not biphasic as this has not been exhibited in other coronaviruses (not known for rna viruses) - it's the effectiveness of that immunity which needs to be reviewed and analysed. I am surprised that the Chinese have not come out with any data on this yet as I think they are the only country with the scientific capacity and more importantly ability (I suspect there won't be any moral compass to guide them on the ethics of this) to fast track these types of tests with the pool of existing positive people they have, especially considering that they are quite a few months ahead of everyone.

Daily briefing

Total tests 1,291,000

Last 24hrs tests 85,186

Positives 190,184

Numbers in hospital 13,258

Critical care patients

Critical care capacity is fine

Deaths all settings in the UK 28,734

Testing capacity 108,000

Test, track and trace begins today on the isle of white

You don't think that Greece, a country beset by economic problems didn't think about that.

As I say they should be up and running sooner than many countries.

I appreciate that they are conference rather than PL but had the UK done something similar we would be able to restart the economy much sooner than we will do.

Just looked into the top 10 most visited countries in the world and one really stands out which is Thailand.

There figures are amazing compared to anyone else's wonder why that is.

Medical

No change in restrictions

Five tests

We are past the peak

Rate of infection decreasing to a managable level

Still challenged in PPE

Movement of people using Apple data and all data,remains low

Tests completed by day ,capacity 108,000(cough but we did 120,000 on target day)

Number of new cases ,needs to come down lower

Patients in hospital,steady decline all over the country

Patients in critical care,still declining,plenty of capacity

Deaths in all settings,slow decline

Global death rates,still worst in Europe on that one,excess mortality will give better pic later on

Probable as you suggest that we have some degree of immunity and also very likely that cv19 is not biphasic as this has not been exhibited in other coronaviruses (not known for rna viruses) - it's the effectiveness of that immunity which needs to be reviewed and analysed. I am surprised that the Chinese have not come out with any data on this yet as I think they are the only country with the scientific capacity and more importantly ability (I suspect there won't be any moral compass to guide them on the ethics of this) to fast track these types of tests with the pool of existing positive people they have, especially considering that they are quite a few months ahead of everyone.
Would you believe any information coming out of China? I wouldn't. South Korea, Sindapre and Japan are the nations I am most interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.